ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-geo-dg]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

[gnso-geo-dg] ICANN regions - scope of GNSO work

  • To: <gnso-geo-dg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-geo-dg] ICANN regions - scope of GNSO work
  • From: "Philip Sheppard" <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 14:08:24 +0200

As we start to find dates for this group perhaps we can agree on line in
advance on the
scope and basis of our work ?
Allow me to make some suggestions.

SCOPE
ICANN regions and their relevance to the GNSO.
(thus we do not need to comment on EVERY aspect of the CCSO report or ALL
implications for
ICANN)

If we agree to the above then for me we need to answer what do we mean by
relevance?
RELEVANCE
The relevance of ICANN regions to the GNSO is as a means of implementing
diversity for:
a) GNSO Council members
b) any one else eg Board ???

And perhaps we could also agree on some basic principles relevant to the above?
PRINCIPLES
1. ICANN should avoid making geo-political judgements and so where regions are
relevant,
refer to an authoritative third party.
2. Where there are grey areas in such a third party regional construct,
members of
constituencies (or territories) may opt-in (in advance) to whichever region
they wish
(subject to some underlying logic to avoid mere whim).

Your thoughts on this shaping would be most welcome.

Philip

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>