[gnso-idn-wg] Notes from GNSO IDN wg meeting 24 June
- To: <gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [gnso-idn-wg] Notes from GNSO IDN wg meeting 24 June
- From: "Olof Nordling" <olof.nordling@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 16:29:06 +0200
Please see notes from our meeting in Marrakech below. I should have provided
them earlier, but better late than sorry.
Notes from GNSO IDN working group meeting 24 June 2006
1. The meeting advised that the IDN Issues Report should be updated by early
July, with ICANN General Counsel's opinion and proposed terms of reference.
The proposed terms of reference should have a similar structure as for the
new gTLDs PDP and focus on the special requirements that IDN aspects may
2. On the cooperation between ccNSO and GNSO, the meeting advised that a
joint PDP appeared too complex and preferred two separate processes for GNSO
and ccNSO, respectively, with coordination as appropriate.
3. The meeting advised that the GNSO should focus on the IDN issues from a
gTLD perspective and that the proposed terms of reference should reflect
4. The meeting discussed the possibility of a IDN country code label list,
similar to ISO 3166-1 but where each country would at the outset define one
single IDN top-level label of its preferred choice. From the discussions
that ensued, this idea appeared likely to generate multiple ancillary
issues. The topic was found to be outside GNSO's remit and rather to be
addressed by the ccNSO.
5. The meeting was informed about the plans for technical tests, which, due
to recent findings, were undergoing changes in timing and structure, also
including a communication plan.