ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

RE: [gnso-idn-wg] Chair of GNSO IDN working group

  • To: <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Bruce Tonkin'" <bruce.tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <owner-gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-idn-wg] Chair of GNSO IDN working group
  • From: "Ram Mohan" <rmohan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 09:02:18 -0500

Marilyn, Bruce, members of the GNSO IDN Working Group,
I am humbled and honored by your nomination of me to be the chair of the
GNSO IDN Working Group, and upon careful consideration, I accept the
nomination.

We already agree that the introduction of Internationalized Domain Names is
a matter of critical priority for the Domain Name System.  I have
consistently pointed out that policy and process considerations far outweigh
the technical ones, but should not be done by ignoring or setting aside
technical issues.  My task as Chair will be to ensure that sufficient
discussion of policy implications and appropriate examination of those
relevant areas occur.

The Internet community deserves and requires a thorough and well balanced
approach to the numerous issues that surround the introduction of IDNs at
the top level.  Thought leadership and balanced policy approaches come from
the creation of consultative processes that listen to points of view from
interested parties.  In this vein, I am pleased to bring to your attention
some aspects of my recent professional history.

I am the CTO and VP Business Operations for Afilias - the registry services
provider trusted to work as the technical operator for 9 sovereign nations
ccTLDs, in addition to the info, org, mobi and aero gTLDs.  I am an advisor
to the Government of India on Internet and domain name policy and technology
issues.  I work with the language community in India to ensure that the
country's 22+ languages are represented online, including collaboration with
the Unicode consortium.  Until recently, I sat on the Board of a
not-for-profit organization (The Metropolitan Career Center) and helped
bring about fundamental change to technology policy in the Philadelphia
urban region that helps disadvantaged individuals become technically
literate, and thereby improve their economic lives.  I work with several
developing countries to ensure that national technology policy brings
increased access for their peoples to the Internet.  I have helped bring
funds to the African Francophone initiative online, with focus on policy,
process and linguistic aspects of increasing digital diversity.  I am the
co-author of the segment on multi-lingualism in an upcoming book on
localization in the Asia Pacific.

In the ICANN arena, some of you may already know that I was an active member
of the first GNSO Whois policy taskforce.  I am part of the team that helped
write the ICANN IDN Guidelines, which have been widely adopted by both
ccTLDs and gTLDs, and am a member of the IDN-PAC.  As a founding member of
the Nominating Committee, I was instrumental in bringing about fundamental
change to the constitution of ICANN's governing and policy making bodies.
As a member of the Security & Stability Advisory Committee (SSAC), I was one
of the panelists who spoke publicly against the introduction of the wildcard
service (SiteFinder) introduced by a major registry in 2003.  In each of
these initiatives, I have served as a team member and also subcommittee
chair - and, I believe, for the good of the Internet.

In the technology area, I have made a few modest contributions towards the
development of the industry standard EPP protocol, IDNs in applications,
operational best practices, and hold several patents.

Experience, integrity, leadership and the ability to build consensus are, in
my opinion, key attributes to being the Chair of any multi-stakeholder
working group.  For IDNs, we have a lot of ground to cover, and our task is
to ensure that relevant policy topics are appropriately discussed, with an
aim to reach consensus.  I believe I will deliver on this task, and that I
bring the four key qualities to Chair the IDN WG.

Please feel free to write to me should you have further thoughts on this
topic.

Best Regards,
Ram
Ram Mohan
Vice President, Business Operations
Chief Technology Officer
Afilias (http://www.afilias.info)
p: +1.215.706.5700 x103; f: +1.215.706.5701
m: +1.215.431.0958
e: rmohan@xxxxxxxxxxxx | skype: gliderpilot30