ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-idn-wg] GNSO IDN WG, Final Outcomes Report, draft for quickfeedback - 4.2.9

• To: marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idn-wg] GNSO IDN WG, Final Outcomes Report, draft for quickfeedback - 4.2.9
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 22:45:51 -0800

Marilyn

I think on the call it was generally accepted that when pre-exixting deployments are considerd and if ICANN after deliberations were to accept, then the pre-existing folks should and must adopt ICANN IDNA and other technicall and policies going forward.
Just like for example everyone switched from RACE to punycode when IETF changed the format yeasr ago- even Verisign with its IDN testbed eventually did.

Cheers

Subbiah

marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

At the risk of reopening this issue, don't we need to take technological limitations into account as well? Is there a 'chapeau statement needed in the principles that acknowledges that issue?
Regards,
Marilyn Cade

-----Original Message-----
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 20:51:45 To:olof nordling <olof.nordling@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc:gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [gnso-idn-wg] GNSO IDN WG, Final Outcomes Report, draft for quick
feedback - 4.2.9

Olof, All

Based on the last round of emails I had thought there had been some agreement to modify 4.2.9 as it stands in your document a little further.

************************************************************current draft version

*4.2.9*

*Support* for the view to consider input from local/regional pre-existing developments regarding IDN at the top-level, for example the experimental IDN systems supported by the Arab league and other countries, when considering introduction of new IDN gTLDs.

There was I belive little dissent to the clause " and not to penalise pre-existing developments", and the inclusion of "teh Chinese community" as an example. Given that there was Avri's dissent to the extra clause "to avoid confusion/potential backlash", we could be safe and drpop that clause.

So I would have thought the following final statement had hardly any dissent and general agreement.

4.2.9*

*Support* for the view to consider input from, and not to penalise, local/regional pre-existing developments regarding IDN at the top-level, for example the experimental IDN systems supported by the Arab league, the Chinese community and other countries, when considering introduction of new IDN gTLDs.

Cheers

Subbiah

olof nordling wrote:

Dear all,
At long last, here is the final report in draft, after reformatting it in
sections by agreements and support, respectively (approach courtesy of our
eminent chair Ram).
Please read it carefully - not the least because the numbering has changed
completely - and provide any comments to the full list.
And now, the hard part, we are on a very tight timeline and this is already
late, so please respond within 12 hours from now, meaning

deadline by 10 AM UTC 22 March.

I hope the GNSO Council will show some indulgence with the implied delay -
we were supposed to provide the report no later than 21 March - but they
certainly do need the report in time for reading prior to the ICANN Lisbon
meeting. So I ask for your indulgence in keeping to this deadline.
Very best regards
Olof

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.413 / Virus Database: 268.18.15/728 - Release Date: 3/20/2007

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy