ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Purpose & Scope of IDNG WG [RE: [gnso-idng] scope of discussion]

  • To: <gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Purpose & Scope of IDNG WG [RE: [gnso-idng] scope of discussion]
  • From: "Edmon Chung" <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 21:49:54 +0800

Thanks Adrian.
Hearing no objection regarding the scope of this drafting team, will use it as
a set of references for the discussion.

Would like to start the discussion on
1. Purpose
2. Scope
of the IDNG WG itself (not this drafting team), if it is to be formed.  I think
this would help set the basic framework and lead through parts of the
discussion of whether such a group could be formed and be able to produce any
meaningful work.

Adapting from the IDNC WG charter (for your reference:
http://ccnso.icann.org/workinggroups/idnc-charter.htm), a possible description
of the purpose of the IDNG WG if formed could be described as follows:

========================

1. Purpose

To meet community demand, gain experience in dealing with IDNs as gTLDs and to
inform the implementation of IDN gTLDs in the New gTLD process currently under
implementation, in the case that the New gTLD process itself is further
delayed, a fast track approach to introduce a number of IDN gTLDs similar to
the IDN ccTLD fast track is being considered.  Neither the New gTLD nor the IDN
ccTLD Fast Track schedules should be delayed by the IDN gTLD Fast Track.

The purpose of the IDN gTLD Fast Track Working Group (IDNG WG) is to develop
and report on feasible methods, if any, that would enable the introduction, in
a timely manner and in a manner that ensures the continued security and
stability of the Internet, a number of IDN gTLDs, limited in scope, while the
overall New gTLD process is being implemented.

========================

Note that there are a few important differences (from the IDNC) incorporated:
- explanation that the IDN gTLD fast track should not delay the New gTLD or IDN
ccTLD Fast Track schedules
- explanation that the IDN gTLD fast track is considered "in case the New gTLD
process itself is further delayed"
- change of "limited number of non-contentious" to "limited in scope"  this
reflects the learning that it is hard to define "limited number" and
"non-contentious".  The idea is that rather than that, the IDNG WG should
define a clear set of scope that could test whether an application would be
within scope or not, with contentiousness likely being one criteria (more
below).
- notes that the concept is similar to the IDN ccTLD fast track

Adapting from the IDNC WG charter again, and expanding with specific regards to
gTLDs, a possible draft for the scope of the IDNG WG charter could be described
as follows:

========================

2. Scope

The scope of the IDNG WG is limited to developing feasible methods that do not
pre-empt the implementation of the New gTLDs process.  The New gTLD process,
when implemented, will cover both IDN and non-IDN gTLDs.

In considering feasible methods the IDNG WG should take into account and be
guided by:
- The overarching requirement to preserve the security and stability of the DNS;
- Compliance with the IDNA protocols and ICANN IDN Guidelines;
- Input and advice from the technical community in respect to the
implementation of IDNs;
- GSNO Policy Recommendations on New gTLDs
(http://gnso.icann.org/issues/new-gtlds/pdp-dec05-fr-parta-08aug07.htm)
- Draft New gTLD Applicant Guidebook
(http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/comments-2-en.htm#expmem) and
subsequent versions as they become available, along with corresponding comments
received
- Draft IDN ccTLD Fast Track Implementation Plan
(http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-18feb09-en.htm) and
subsequent versions as they become available, along with corresponding comments
received

The IDNG WG is not tasked on policy development, and should refer to policy
recommendations already produced by the GNSO, especially taking into
consideration the GNSO IDN WG Final Outcomes report
(http://gnso.icann.org/drafts/idn-wg-fr-22mar07.htm).  The scope of the IDNG WG
is limited to developing a feasible implementation framework for the
implementation of an IDN gTLD Fast Track.

The IDNG WG should at a minimum address the following issues in its reports:
- Definition of a limited scope for applicable IDN gTLDs for the Fast Track
- Requirements for and evaluation of applicants for the Fast Track
- Consideration for requirements of rights protection mechanisms
- Where contention arise, how such contention could be addressed
- Conditions under which an application may be deferred to the full New gTLD
process

The list above is not intended to be exhaustive at the moment.  More items
could be added as the IDNG WG commences its work.

Thoughts/comments/additions/ideas on the above...

Edmon