ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

RE: [gnso-idng] motion for IDNG WG formation

  • To: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>, "Edmon Chung" <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-idng] motion for IDNG WG formation
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 09:41:29 -0400

Thanks for the thoughts Stephane.

I think all of us would be relatively happy if a decision was made to delay the
IDN ccTLD fast track until the IDN gTLD process is ready, but it seems
increasingly unlikely that that will happen because of the delays in the gTLD
process.  At the same time, I think we should continue to push for that.

I believe there are two goals that all of us that have volunteered for this
group agree on: 1) the gap between the introduction of new gTLDs (ASCII & IDN)
and the initiation of the IDN ccTLD Fast Track process should be minimized; 2)
new gTLDs of all types should be introduced as soon as possible as long as that
is in a manner that contributes to security and stability and the process is
done well.  If I am correct on that, there is another thing we could do that I
think could contribute to both of these goals.

A long time ago we talked about the idea of initiating the Communications
Period before the final DAG was approved.  As you know, the GNSO new gTLD
recommendations call for a minimum 4-month Communications Period after the RFP
is approved by the Board.  The GNSO Council could officially modify that
recommendation to something like the following: "The formal Communications
Period as recommended by the GNSO Council should be initiated NLT 1 October
2009 and should end no earlier than 31 January 2009 or 30 days after final
Board approval of the DAG, whichever is later."  We should recognize that those
who do not want new gTLDs would likely not support this but I think there are
chances that we could get a fairly strong majority of the Council to support
something like this.

Thoughts?

Chuck