ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs

  • To: Edmon Chung <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 19:10:08 -0500

Edmond,

First, I don't know that constructive discussion is possible.

There's the criticisms that are being used to stall gTLDs in general.

There's the criticisms that anything will have at best an adverse outcome.

The first interest is that all applications block. The second is that all applications block until some condition, and in the absence of that condition being specific, and "none before others" is not a specific condition, the second reduces to the first.

This is grand if one isn't wedded to gTLD registry operations, as jointly and separately, these amount to no new gTLD registries, and one can operate ccTLD registries, whether ASCII or IDN or both.

Second, I don't know that the GNSO Council statements of policy as recent as 16 months ago, statements I've watched developed and uttered, and at GNSO Council meetings, at joint GNSO ccNSO Councils meetings, on the subject of IDN and advantage, aren't junk.

Third, the RyC, now RySG, has been unwilling to allow registry operators, as well as applicants, do more than "observe" the RyC's, now RySG's formation of policy directly affecting operators and new registry applicants. That some RySG observers now seek to prevent the RySG's members from obtaining new delegations, albeit IDN delegations, before RySG observers, seems to be pre-planned failure of constructive discussion.

Fourth, of course the DAG views all applications in isolation, you and I both spoke to Peter and Paul at the Delhi RyC meeting on the subject and they were fixated on the $185k per and as dense as stones and couldn't be made to think about operational issues. This problem hasn't gone away in the intervening 20 months.

My suggestion is to try and get some fundamentals fixed.

What is the offer from th RySG members to the RySG observers for policy, now and in the three years the IDN PDP(s) are expected to take? If nothing, expect about that much success. In 2000 NetSol (now VGRS) allowed the noses of the NeuStar and Afilias and Register policy camels inside the tent before those parties had contracts with ICANN.

What is the GNSO Council's position _now_ on advantage? If nothing, then that's the Council support for whatever this list-or-WG comes up with.

What conditions, of the generally stalling, or specifically preconditioning parties, are subject to test, and which, if any, application could test if these conditions are brought in good faith?

I'm sure constructive discussion is possible, but it may only be so if the discussion is technical, or the anticipated date of application for any new delegation, other than a ccTLD IDN FT, is very forward looking, closer to 2020 than 2010.

I've spent a lot of time writing, and on Wednesday I look forward to mostly listening.

Eric