ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: [gnso-idng] RE: same string registered at 2nd level across different IDN gTLDs [RE: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs]

  • To: gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idng] RE: same string registered at 2nd level across different IDN gTLDs [RE: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs]
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 06:45:07 +0100

Hi,

If I remember correctly, this group was put together to come up with such a
charter.

On 3 Apr 2009, at 14:04, Edmon Chung wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Thanks for taking the time to discuss this topic, which I personally think
> should be a meaningful project for the ICANN community.
>
> Wanted to start off by considering the scope we would like to have for this
> particular drafting team. Here are my initial thoughts:
>
> 1. Focused on IDN gTLD Fast Track -- the discussion should conceptually be
> following from the recent resolution on the timing of the introduction of IDN
> ccTLD and IDN gTLD and the consistent position we have maintained regarding
> the issue
>
> 2. Not intended to resolve all the implementation issues -- it may be useful
> to consider some of the implementation issues so that we know what items
> should be discussed in the IDNG WG if it is formed, however the actual
> discussions I think should take place once the IDNG WG is formed rather than
> at this drafting team
>
> 3. Depending on existing policy recommendations -- all discussions here and
> in the IDNG WG if it is formed should depend on existing policy
> recommendations, including the GNSO IDN WG final outcomes report and the GNSO
> new gTLD recommendations, which means that no policy development should be
> required
>
> 4. Council Motion for the formation of an IDNG WG -- in my mind, the outcome,
> if any, of this drafting team would be a proposed motion for the council to
> consider in terms of requesting the board to form an IDNG WG, much like the
> IDNC WG which was formed to develop the IDN ccTLD Fast Track
>
> 5. Draft Charter of IDNG WG -- this would be another outcome from this
> drafting team.  Again, in my mind, I think it should make sense to follow the
> footsteps of the IDNC WG.  What we would need to develop, would be a set of
> basic principles, scope and timeline for the IDNG WG, much like that for the
> IDNC WG charter (see: http://ccnso.icann.org/workinggroups/idnc-charter.htm).
>
> The question of whether an IDNG WG should be formed I think may actually be
> better discussed through the consideration of 4&5 above.  The discussions for
> which and whether we could come to consensus around them would essentially
> reveal the answer to that question.
>
> What do people think about the above for a starting point?

It was put on hold while the JIG effort became the focus.

with JIG being more of less a reality, and the fact that IDNccTLDs were going
to precede any new gTLD including IDNgTLDS into the root by at least 6 months
if not more, the conversations on this effort started up again.

On 20 Nov 2009, at 04:31, Edmon Chung wrote:

> [...]
> to me that the time for this discussion for IDN gTLDs is becoming mature...
>
> Anyway, the basic situation, based on my observation, perhaps could be
> described as follows:
> - there is definite interest in having IDN gTLDs as soon as possible
> - there is user expectation (among other reasons) that as IDN ccTLDs are
> available IDN gTLDs also work
> - IDN gTLDs, like IDN ccTLDs are new TLDs, as new gTLDs, the same overarching
> issues (not resolved for the full process) may apply
> - Full IDN experience (i.e. including the TLD) is important for users and the
> adoption of IDN
> - IDN TLD is an important undertaking for ICANN in promoting multilingualism
> and IDN gTLDs should be one of the priorities of ICANN work
> - From the press coverage received (and the great enthusiasm and discussions
> at the IGF) regarding the release of IDN ccTLDs, there is public demand (or
> at least interest) on having IDN TLDs
>
> Based on the above, I can think of 2 possible options or tracks:
>
> 1. to break out the discussion focused on IDN gTLDs and address the
> overarching issues specifically for the introduction of IDN gTLDs
> - open the application process for all IDN gTLD strings
> - identify the relevant issues and propose a solution focused on IDN gTLDs
> - work in parallel with the full new gTLD process (or other tracks for that
> matter) and bring about a process independent of the full new gTLD process
> discussion (i.e. may happen to be completed sooner than, at the same time, or
> later than the full new gTLD process)
>
> 2. to have a special track for IDN gTLDs that would "mirror" existing gTLDs
> - existing gTLDs will apply and commit to essentially run the same zonefile
> (or offer the same name for registration to the existing registrant) as the
> IDN gTLD, providing full IDN experience for gTLDs
> - existing gTLDs will have to apply through a process and be subjected to
> objections
> - objections can be raised by potential applicants for the same name (or a
> similar name forming a contention set with the applied for IDN gTLD)
> - where objection arise, the IDN gTLD string will be submitted for evaluation
> on whether it is confusingly similar to the existing ASCII gTLD
> - if it is determined to be confusingly similar, then the application stands;
> if it is determined to be NOT confusingly similar, then the application is
> punted to 1. above or the full new gTLD process
> - IDN gTLDs can be added to existing gTLD contracts
>
> The 2 options need not be mutually exclusive.  In fact, Option 2 may actually
> be good as an ongoing process (after the new round of gTLDs and as they
> become interested in augmenting their ASCII gTLD with an accompanying IDN
> gTLD, and as new languages are added for any gTLD for that matter).
>
> These are probably not the only options, but just want to get this discussion
> started again :-)... and of course there is option 3 which is do nothing for

a.