ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

[gnso-idng] 2 possible "Tracks" (or types) of IDN gTLDs

  • To: <gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-idng] 2 possible "Tracks" (or types) of IDN gTLDs
  • From: "Edmon Chung" <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 23:48:07 +0800

Yes, I think the discussion grew out of the consideration of whether it is
useful to consider 2 tracks (or types... or however you want to call it) of
IDN gTLDs... which goes back to my suggestion of:

Track A: entirely new IDN gTLDs
Track B: IDN gTLDs that "mirrors" existing gTLDs (including then existing
ones... i.e. future new gTLDs)

It seems clear that Track A fits well into the DAG, but the question right
now... I think... is whether DAG handles Track B gracefully.  And I do
believe that Track B will become increasingly important especially when we
consider the hundreds of gTLDs scenario in the future.  Forcing all Track B
types through extended evaluation (even if that even works) may not be the
most efficient nor what we should see implemented.  Having Track B, also, as
far as I can see, does not require any additional policy to be developed,
but rather, an implementation based on the already established policies.
The benefits of having the Track B mechanism, I think definitely outweighs
the costs.... at least in my view.

Edmon