ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

[gnso-idng] A summary of assertions and open questions, continued, the economic analysis

  • To: gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-idng] A summary of assertions and open questions, continued, the economic analysis
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 12:30:22 -0500

Over the weekend I tried to get to originating issues for the Board's desire to have an economic study, with Steve Crocker, then the non-voting SSAC Liaison to the Board, now a NomCom appointed voting member of the Board. I wasn't successful, but what else is new?

I've read Adrian's post at CircleID, and I expect everyone's also read it, or thought along the same lines -- why didn't the GAC and/or the ccTLD IDN FT also have to meet some economic study necessity test?

Unlike Adrian, I don't think there's a lack of equity or surplus of hypocrisy in the absence of such a requirement for the ccTLD IDN FT. I think the requirement originally was, and remains to the present, one for the unsponsored, price-capped registries.

Historically, the Board approved "7-10", with some of that allocated to the sponsored model, and some to the unsponsored model. In 2003 the Board approved more sponsored applications, a process which drew to the end in 2006. Through out there was movement towards IDNs.

At the close of 2006, the Board's desire to "commission an independent study by an economic organization to get findings on economic questions concerning the domain name registration market" was not with the view of a second round of sponsored gTLDs only, nor with the view of IDN entries in the root, but with the view of more applications for unsponsored price-capped registries.

Somehow this has been promoted to mean "everything", leading to Adrian's reasonable observation, yet it should not apply to what it was not intended to apply to.

One could argue that it should apply to .cn (in SC), it being large, like the intended objects of study contemplated by the Board. However, it couldn't apply to .eg (in Arabic), about the size of .museum.

So, one line of approach is that "size" matters.

Another is that only "ASCII" matters.

As a problem of method, I have no bright ideas how "an economic organization" can ask for direct data useful towards making "findings on economic questions" about markets that do not yet exist -- name spaces entirely in non-Latin scripts. I also have no idea if the same methods, whatever they may be, could have discovered the market for .cat, or any of the 2003-2007 sTLDs, yet .cat's growth, and more importantly, the growth of Catalan content in the .cat namespace, is very hard to overlook. I simply can't bring myself to believe Google's metrics for Catalan content under .cat.

So as an untested assertion, the economic analysis requirement is inapplicable except to the price-capped, unsponored, Latin model.

If the applicability extends beyond the price-capped, unsponored, Latin model, does the relaxation of any one of those qualifiers change the Board's interest?

I co-read "Horton hears a Who" with my youngest, and my older readers, who enjoy a good joke, are quick to chant "boil that dust speck, boil that dust speck", but is the Board really concerned about the economic issues, whatever they may be, about arbitrary IDN Who-Villes, arbitrarily small?

Eric

[1] Captioning Board of Directors Meeting, 8 December 2006 http://www.icann.org/en/meetings/saopaulo/captioning-board-old-08dec06.htm