ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: [gnso-idng] Recommendation 2: Confusingly Similar strings

  • To: gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idng] Recommendation 2: Confusingly Similar strings
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 12:48:31 +0100

Hi,

not that I am ready to endorse this interpretation, but a fragment of a thought:

If an algorithm is used to determine whether  a name should be thrown out for
being confusingly similar,
in the case of the same entity, could that same test  be used in its obverse to
only accept some string that hit a certain similarity factor?

the more serious part of this question relates to how does one decide that a
translation, transliteration, or homonym is sufficiently similar.

I am assuming that there will also be a  class of names in the middle, those
that are too close to be allowed, but not close enough to be seen as identical.
 Again, an example could probably be found in the com-biz constellation where
many names might be too similar to both to be allowed to either.

In any case, even if there is not a policy issue to be solved (and I do not
quite accept that, though perhaps this is one of the dangers of using Trademark
law for confusingly similar as I argued in my dissenting comment), there seem
to be lots of wrinkles that would need to be ironed out.

cheers,
.