ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

[gnso-idng] A summary of assertions and open questions, continued, maleware

  • To: gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-idng] A summary of assertions and open questions, continued, maleware
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 15:59:06 -0500

There is a categorical difference in the problems presented by near-ASCII like character repertoires like Cyrillic, relative to the letters-digits-hyphen subset of Latin.

In the IDNAbis WG we've covered this in dealing with the edge cases presented by mixing scripts.

We can adopt similar guidelines to reduce risk introduced by visually similar glyphs, for instance, no mixing Cyrillic and Latin script in the same label.

As an approach, we can take an ordered-by-risk list from who ever is leading the maleware charge, and see which can be eliminated for the class of applications we're considering. If we get to "acceptable risk", an as yet undefined term, but .cat, or .museum, in {Chinese, Yiddish, Arabic, Hindi, ...} seems like a safe lower bound on realistic risk, then we have something for this overarching issue too.

At present we have nothing, which is underwhelming.

Eric