ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: [gnso-idng] 2nd Draft on String Similarity

  • To: gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idng] 2nd Draft on String Similarity
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 17:18:27 +0100

Hi,

some initial comments.

On 13 Dec 2009, at 15:39, Eric Brunner-Williams wrote:

> 2nd draft version
> changes:
> o shorter (Stephane)
> o problem statement only, no solution(s) (Avri)
> o change "china" and "中国" example to "duck soup" (Avri)
> o qualifiers around "meaning" definition of "similarity" (Avri, Tim, Eric)
> o pseudo-haiku summary (Stephane)

almost seems like it should at the beginning as a executive summary.

> ===
> Councilors,
>
> During the past weeks the participants in the gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx mailing
> list (IDNG) have discussed, on the mailing list and in conference calls,
> aspects of the situation which exists following the Board's vote at Seoul.
>
> One area of discussion which raises a policy issue is confusingly similar
> strings. Because this seems an area where the obvious right thing has already
> been done we need to draw attention to two aspects which have been overlooked.
>
> First, the current definition of "similar" is now broader than "visual
> similarity", and to some appears to include "meaning", which may be so broad
> a definition as to create more ills than it cures.

... is now more complex then simple "visual similarity" ...

> Second, the underlying assumption in the evaluation process is that each
> evaluation is independent of all other evaluations.

might want to add a clause at the end, ..., even if they are from the same or
associated applicants.

> These, a rule (about a string in an application) and a meta-rule (about all
> applications), have a consequence which we suggest is not desirable.
>
> In the following example we use "duck soup" and "鸭汤" (yā tāng) as two
> strings, honoring both a network utility by way of a children's book and the
> cinematic ouvre of the Marx Brothers.

not sure a meaning based example is the most useful.

> The strings "duck soup" and "鸭汤" (yā tāng) are "similar" in meaning, therefor
> they form a contention set. Under the current rules in DAGv3, only one

how about ..... therefore they may form a contention set.

> application who's string is a member of a contention set may proceed towards
> delegation. Whether the choice is by order of creation, or amongst
> contemporaries, by community evaluation and/or auction, the result is the
> same. One member of an (extended, in the sense of including existing
> registries) contention set thrives. All others fail.
>
> This is the proper and correct end, except for one case which is more likely
> to exist for applications for IDN strings than for restricted ASCII (letters,
> digits, hyphen) strings. That case is where two, or more, applications for
> similar strings are advanced by a single applicant, or two or more
> cooperating applicants.
>
> Returning to our "duck soup" and "鸭汤" (yā tāng) example, if XYZ Co. applied
> for both "duck soup" (application #1) and "鸭汤" (yā tāng) (application #2),
> the current rules can not allow both strings to exist in the root, though
> both are brought by the same applicant.
>
> The fundamental rational is that confusion is harmful. This rational is not
> universally correct. There are instances where confusion results in no harm,
> and more importantly, where "confusion" creates benefit.
>
> Because "beneficial confusion" is not obvious to users of Latin Script, an
> example, we offer the original example of cooperation among "applicants" to
> benefit their registrants and users, through "similarity".
>
> In 2001, the registries for China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macao discussed
> cooperation so that mixing of Simplified Chinese, prevalent in China, and
> Traditional Chinese, prevalent in Taiwan, but interchangeable without loss of
> meaning, would not result in user confusion. These "applicants" cooperated to
> create "beneficial confusion", so that "similar strings" actually had similar
> meaning, that is, resolved as expected by their user community. Variant
> bundling and cross-registry consistency were invented to address the user
> expectation of equivalency of meaning between Simplified and Traditional
> Chinese.

Would it have been better to have an example based on these beneficially
confusing strings, as opposed to a translation based string confusion that
brings up the controversial subject of whether meaning based confusion is
significant on its own as a primary kind of confusion or as a complex factor in
object resolution.

> No user "confusion" resulted from this multi-applicant cooperation, except
> perhaps in Marina del Rey.

last part of the phrase probably doesn't add a lot.  even if it feels good.