ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: [gnso-idng] Picking up where we left off ...

  • To: gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idng] Picking up where we left off ...
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 13:19:35 -0500

All,

It has been a week since I wrote "Picking up where we left off ...", and six weeks and five days since Stéphane's note, the last after Edmon cancelled the call scheduled the previous day , so the gnso-idng activity is ... not progressing.

As you all should know, requests by Egypt, the Russian Federation, the United Arab Emirates, and Saudi Arabia have completed evaluation.

The respective strings are:

.sa xn--mgberp4a5d4ar (variants: xn--mgberp4a5d4a87g, xn--mgbqly7c0a67fbc, and xn--mgbqly7cvafr) for "al saudiah",

.eg xn--wgbh1c, the familiar "misr",

.ae xn--mgbaam7a8h, the familar "imarat",

.ru xn--p1ai, the familiar "rf".

Returning to the GNSOC rhetoric that roughly equal in time and sense means more than nothing ...

One possibility is each of {VGRS, AF, NS, CORE} get an IDN of their choices.

Another is that {VGRS, AF, NS, CORE} get an arabic or a cyrillic IDN.

Another is that {VGRS, AF, NS, CORE} get an IDN sizeof(.sa or .eg or .ae), which is to say "small", or an IDN sizeof(.ru), which is to say bigger.

Another is that {VGRS, AF, NS, CORE} get an IDN chit that they can't (or shouldn't) cash in yet, which they may either conceal until the entire ccTLD IDN FT activity discloses all ccTLD IDNs under the FT, or they must disclose in stages, e.g., the {SA, EG, AE, RU} set being one stage.

These were some of my "what does `roughly equal' (my paraphrase) and the ccTLD IDN FT mean" thoughts.

Of course, CORE's initial preference is a Hebrew Script IDN TLD for Yiddish, for the same reasons we did a Latin Script ASCII TLD for Catalan, to preserve an endangered language.

There are alternate interpretations of the GNSO statements of position on IDNs. Avri has pointed out an equity claim for parties not currently contracted. Someone could offer a best use claim for the currently contracted parties with the largest market share. Someone else could offer a competition policy claim for the currently contracted parties with the smallest market share, and so on.

CORE's position is that we're fine with the ccTLDs going first. We think steady IDN expansion, nor initial market share, is the better goal. We also know our view is not widely shared by the other contracted parties.

What I've learned during the course of this list is that the Overarching Issues, at least the trademarks issue, isn't such a big deal for IDN strings are it is for ASCII strings, and with the exception of the homographic problem, the rest of the Overarching Issues are not as present.

That could be a good thing, if the current DAGv3+ process was able to distinguish between IDN applications and ASCII applications, but for the present there is no differentiation, and so the relative absence of objection to IDN gTLDs is data without significance.

Eric