ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

RE: [gnso-idng] outstanding IDNG discussions: 1. confusingly similar TLD string / 2. IDN gTLD WG Charter

  • To: "'Adrian Kinderis'" <adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-idng] outstanding IDNG discussions: 1. confusingly similar TLD string / 2. IDN gTLD WG Charter
  • From: "Edmon Chung" <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 18:11:26 +0800

Thanks for the quick response.

Perhaps the IDNG BAG should be seen in the light that it is not only about
"existing" gTLDs, it is also about future gTLDs.
I am not proposing "special rights" and I continue to agree with the principle
already set out in the IDN WG years ago that "special rights" or "priority" not
be provided to existing gTLDs.
What I am saying is that there should be consideration for how these
applications would progress through the process.  Currently the DAG lacks a
mechanism to gracefully handle IDNG BAGs (IDN gTLDs Based on Another GTLD) be
it an existing gTLD or a new gTLD that is being proposed.

The IDNG BAG proposal is directly a response on the confusingly similar
discussion.

Edmon