ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

RE: [gnso-idng] an initial rough draft of a motion and letter

  • To: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-idng] an initial rough draft of a motion and letter
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 10:28:15 -0400

I am not opposed to Tim's suggestion and I believe it is consistent with the
way that the GNSO has operated with regard to new gTLDs.  By that I mean that
we provided fairly high level recommendations and then asked Staff to implement
them, leaving a lot of the work to Staff.  In this case, approving a motion
that only includes the first bullet of Avri's motion (A request be sent to the
ICANN New GTLD Implementation Team, and copied to the ICANN Board, requesting
that Model 2 regarding "Outcomes of the String Similarity Review" be amended to
allow applicants to request extended review under terms similar to those
provided for other issues such as "DNS Stability: String Review Procedure") and
leaves out the formation of the WG would in my opinion be similar to what we
did with the original recommendations.  Of course, if we are really concerned
about avoiding delays, it might be helpful to assist Staff in defining
evaluation guidelines.

Note that I suggested some changes to Avri's motion in another email response.
In a few minutes I am going to send a draft charter for a WG in case we decide
to go that direction.

Chuck