ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] IGO-INGO - Legal Issues Review - RySG Proposal

  • To: Jim Bikoff <jbikoff@xxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] IGO-INGO - Legal Issues Review - RySG Proposal
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 23:26:07 +0000

Jim,

Registries and registrars need a definitive response from the ICANN General
Counsel's Office regarding whether there are jurisdictions for which
registration of IOC, RC and IGO names are illegal.  It will be up to the GC
Office as to whether they can answer the questions using existing research that
has already been done or whether they need any more research.  If you are
correct, they may not need to do any further research for the IOC and RC names.
 The RySG suggested request of the GC Office is not a request for legal
research but rather a request for direction regarding the legality of
registering IOC, RC and IGO names because we are required to follow applicable
laws.  It is a common practice in the GNSO to request legal direction from the
GC Office with regard to our registry and registrar agreements.

With regard to your suggested changes to the recommended RySG request, I
personally do not see any problems with them, but I will leave it up to David
Maher as the official RySG representative to the WG to respond.  The changes
you propose don't seem necessary to me because I cannot imagine the GC Office
handling the request without doing what you suggest, but neither do they seem
to change the substance of the request so making them seems okay to me.

It is also my opinion that the GC Office response to the request will clarify
the work needed by the WG.

Chuck