ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] IGO-INGO - Legal Issues Review - RySG Proposal

  • To: "Shatan, Gregory S." <GShatan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, CHUCK GOMES <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jim Bikoff <jbikoff@xxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] IGO-INGO - Legal Issues Review - RySG Proposal
  • From: "David W. Maher" <dmaher@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 23:10:52 -0500

Please see comments below:
David W. Maher
Senior Vice President – Law & Policy
Public Interest Registry
312 375 4849

From: "Shatan, Gregory S." <GShatan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:GShatan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 19:38:08 -0500
To: CHUCK GOMES <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>>, Jim Bikoff
<jbikoff@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:jbikoff@xxxxxxxxx>>,
"gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>"
<gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>>
Cc: David Heasley <dheasley@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:dheasley@xxxxxxxxx>>, Kiran
Malancharuvil <kmalancharuvil@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:kmalancharuvil@xxxxxxxxx>>

I think that, as drafted, this request is troublesome and ambiguous in several
respects (with or without Jim Bikoff’s additions).

First, the request only asks if ICANN is “aware” of any jurisdiction, etc.
Thus, it is phrased as a request based on ICANN’s current knowledge, not a
request for research or analysis, and would not result in any kind of
“definitive” response.  Rather, it would result in an anecdotal response, which
would essentially be worthless.
 DWM: The question leaves it up to the GC office to do research if they believe
it necessary.

Second, it asks the GC’s office to identify jurisdictions where applicable law
“prohibits … the following actions by or under the authority of ICANN.”  This
is a very narrow phrasing of this question.  Given the slow pace at which
statutes and especially treaties change, it is highly unlikely that laws in
many (if any) jurisdictions specifically mention delegation of top level
domains or domain names of IGO or INGOs, or mention ICANN.  In many if not most
cases, we will be dealing with generally drafted laws of broad applicability
dating from before the Internet era.  The question may be one of first
impression – I am certainly not aware of any cases construing laws applicable
to IGO/INGO names in the domain name context, much less the gTLD context, which
is by definition an unanswered question.  So, while it is likely that there are
few if any laws that specifically and explicitly prohibit these specific named
activities by these specific named actors, that is not how the law works.  The
question instead should be phrased to ask whether there are any applicable laws
that could be interpreted to prohibit such actions.  This would by definition
require research, analysis and consideration of various interpretations of
statutes and treaties relating to IGO/INGO names, without engaging in advocacy
for one approach over another.
DWM: I have no objection to use of the phrase "can be construed or interpreted
to",  but I object to the other changes, and the deletion of "by or under the
authority of ICANN". We, the WG, are trying to decide whether there are legal
constraints that affect the policy questions that form the subject matter of
this WG's charter. There could be years of research and analysis of statutes
and treaties, but we need to start w/ the opinion of ICANN counsel on this
specific question.

Third, the question makes reference to the qualification that an  international
non-governmental organization must be “receiving protections under treaties and
statutes under multiple jurisdictions” in order to be considered.  This “gating
factor” has not been agreed on as a minimum qualification, and one of the
things this WG should be doing  is deciding whether this is a valid and
appropriate distinction.  For instance, treaties may or may not require
enabling legislation in order to be effective in a given jurisdiction; thus,
the existence of the treaty itself could and should be sufficient to merit
consideration with or without enabling legislation.  In other cases there could
be applicable statutes in multiple jurisdictions but no treaty; this should not
be a disqualification.  Put another way, the idea that there need to be “two
levels of protection” in order to merit consideration for reservation is an
assertion and not a given. (On a smaller point it is unclear whether the
question intends to apply this test to IGOs as well; it seems to apply to INGOs
only as drafted given the placement of the acronyms.)

 DWM: The qualification re: INGOs comes from the wording of the Mission and
Scope of the WG in the proposed charter that is now a motion before the GNSO
Council.

Finally, this is really not comparable to asking ICANN for guidance on
registry/registrar agreements.  These are contracts promulgated by ICANN and to
which ICANN is a party.  ICANN counsel may be (indeed should be) competent to
answer questions of contractual interpretation.  Whether they are competent to
opine on matters of international and transnational legal interpretation is an
entirely different matter.

 DWM: I believe ICANN counsel is competent to opine on the legal obligations
that are the subject of the proposed question.

As such, it is an interesting (and interestingly drafted) request, but I don’t
think it will be definitive or clarifying.  At most, It might start a lively
debate.  I would suggest the following changes, based on the above comments.

IGO-INGO Legal Review request:

With respect to the question of securing legal advice regarding the protection
of IGO-INGO names, taking into account the work previously done regarding the
IOC/Red Cross Red Crescent, the WG requests from the office of the ICANN
General Counsel an answer to the following question:

Is ICANN aware of any jurisdiction in which a statute, treaty or other
applicable law can be construed or interpreted to prohibit either or both of
the following actions by or under the authority of ICANN:

a)      the assignment by ICANN at the top level, or

b)      the registration by a registry or a registrar accredited by ICANN of a
domain name requested by any party at the second level,

of the name or acronym of

(i)                 an intergovernmental organization (IGO) or

(ii)               an international non-governmental organization receiving
protections under treaties or and statutes having effect inunder multiple
jurisdictions (INGO)?

If the answer is affirmative, please specify the jurisdiction(s) and cite the
statute, treaty or other applicable law.  Please also cite the statutes,
treaties and applicable laws considered, and the reasons for an affirmative or
negative determination.

Best regards,

Greg

Gregory S. Shatan