ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] Protections Strawman - Thomas Rickert

  • To: gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] Protections Strawman - Thomas Rickert
  • From: Robin Gross <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 12:16:01 -0800

I think we need to understand what the specific problem is in order to evaluate a specific solution for that problem. Specifically, what it is about the existing protection mechanisms that have been created that are lacking? How can we recommend specific solutions if we don't know in which ways the existing mechanisms are inadequate? We've heard general arguments about how orgs don't want to spend their resources to exercise the RPM's that have been created to protect their rights, - but that applies to every org in the world. And we've heard about the existence of rights created by treaty and national law, but that hasn't been tied back to why the existing protections don't help to protect their rights. We need to delve into specifics and into a deeper understanding of the problem we are trying to fix in order to find a responsible well considered solution.

Thank you,
Robin