ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] food for thought - options to be considered

  • To: GUILHERME ricardo <ricardo.GUILHERME@xxxxxxx>, "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] food for thought - options to be considered
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 20:05:13 +0000

Ricardo,

I find your conclusion, which I copy here for clarity helpful:

"What could this look like? Here is a very rough sketch:

- Organizations can have their designations added to a database (such as the
TMCH database). Identical match strings will be added after validation.
- Whenever a registration for an identical match is attempted, eligibility of
the registrant will be checked before the domain name is registered.
Eligibility is given either if an organization holding that designation is
carrying out the registration or if the registrant is registering the domain
name legitimately according to the exemption rules, i.e. where use is
permitted).
- Registrations for eligible registrants will be carried out on a first come
first served basis.

Such approach would prevent unauthorized registrations from taking place. At
the same time (since registrations are fcfs) there is a level playing field and
eligible parties would not necessarily prevail over other legitimate
registrants.

One could even apply such method for the top level (taking into account the
question of the applicability of the string similarity review) ."

Chuck