ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

[gnso-igo-ingo] RE: Qualification Criteria - Report

  • To: Kiran Malancharuvil <kmalancharuvil@xxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-igo-ingo] RE: Qualification Criteria - Report
  • From: "Claudia MACMASTER TAMARIT" <MACMASTER@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 15:05:27 +0000

Dear all,

Agreeing with the importance of avoiding misrepresentation, redundancy, or
undue emphasis, I suggest we pare back to the list itself (see below).  We can
continue to discuss, and comment as a Group, as well as refer to the worksheet.

Finally, just for clarity (and noting the inaccurate and reductive
characterization of our position), please allow me to restate our position that
any qualification criteria should be objective and non-discriminatory.
Tailoring the criteria to fit one or two organizations is discriminatory, and
an effort we will reject as unacceptable.  We would not support any resulting
recommendation that is made on this discriminatory basis.

Best,
Claudia

ISO:

  1.   Existence of national laws or treaties that prohibit the unauthorized
use of the words/designations in question;

  1.  Status of the international organization as a non-profit institution;

  1.  Membership (number of member countries in the international organization,
including percentage of governmental/public members) to be weighed as a part of
a multi-factored analysis where numbers may be considered flexible benchmarks,
e.g., over 50 countries or representational 25% of the world's population,
etc.);

  1.  Organizational mandate for international public service (e.g., Statutes,
Bylaws, Treaty, etc.);

  1.  Work/serve on international level: Number of countries in which the
international organization has operations or provides services and/or products;
Nature and extent of collaborations with governments and other international
organizations (again, to be weighed in a multi-factored analysis);

  1.  Engage individuals globally: Nature and impact of work, services and/or
products on an international level in regards to communities, industries, etc.
IOC:

1.      National laws and/or treaties that prohibit the unauthorized use of the
words/designations in question

2.      Not-for-profit status