ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] Qualification Criteria - common ground?

• To: Thomas Rickert <rickert@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] Qualification Criteria - common ground?
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 18:24:46 -0500

Again, I have a problem with the questions. I do not believe that this WG should be granting protection as specified in A without other accompanying criteria. If the treaties/laws are so compelling, this should be a legal decision and not a policy one.

For B, the proposal to use national law aw the definition of public interest just reverts to option A. But without the note, it is a good start.

Alan

At 07/02/2013 03:25 PM, Thomas Rickert wrote:

All,
as discussed during yesterday's call, I would like to sound out whether there is some common ground with respect to the qualification criteria regarding the following proposals developed during the call. These suggestions seemed to have some supporters each:

Option A:

Protection of a name or an organization by virtue of an international treaty AND protection in multiple jurisdictions.

Option B:

The existence of a name, acronym or designation by virtue of an international treaty AND the requirement of the organization to be mandated to work in the global public interest. (Note: It was proposed that the global public interest can be shown by existing protection under multiple national laws).

I repeat my encouragement to continue our vivid exchange of thoughts on the mailing list. Please let the group know whether you like both or one or a variation of the above or none of the options.

This exercise should help us find out whether we can use one or both options as a starting point for developing a proposal supported by a considerable part of the group.

Thanks,
Thomas

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy