ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Qualification Criteria - common ground?

  • To: <rickert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Qualification Criteria - common ground?
  • From: <Sam.PALTRIDGE@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 20:09:21 +0000

Dear Thomas,

Firstly, thank you (and also to Chuck) for framing these for the group.

On behalf of the OECD, UPU, WIPO, and 40+ other IGOs in coalition, with respect
to the questions posed in your two attached emails, we thought it would be more
efficient for the group to make the following collective reply:
Concerning Questions Posed on Qualification Criteria:
On the basis of the two options you present, we would in principle favor option
A ("Protection of the name and acronym of an organization by virtue of an
international treaty AND protection in multiple jurisdictions), with the caveat
that the scope of protection must include both the name and acronym of the
relevant organization.
Moreover, and as also mentioned in our previous submissions to the group in the
case of IGOs, the Paris Convention is an international treaty (through its
Article 6ter), which affords protection to the communicated names and acronyms
of IGOs, with such protection also given direct effect under national law in
multiple jurisdictions.

However, the fact that we may support option A here should not be construed as
disregarding the fact that, in many jurisdictions, ratification of an
international treaty is not dependent on the enactment of specific domestic
laws replicating the former; and that notably in the case of IGOs such as the
OECD, UPU and WIPO, whose names and acronyms are collectively protected under
international law, there is no reason nor need for them to be specifically
"named" in such domestic legislation. (Indeed, while certain INGOs may require
somehow two specific "tiers" of protection exactly since those organizations
are not subject to the general legal protection accorded under article 6ter of
the Paris Convention (as is the case for IGOs), thus actually requiring
specific protection at the domestic level, such INGO's do not fall under the
same legal umbrella as IGOs.)
Therefore, as a matter of principle there is no automatic need for "specific
domestic laws" to deal with the protection of IGO names and acronyms in
multiple jurisdictions (even though many countries have enacted related
domestic legislation as indicated in past submissions by IGOs) - in other
words, the factual assessment that IGOs enjoy both treaty-level and specific
domestic law protections should neither imply nor be interpreted as IGOs
constituting acceptance of ICANN's "two-tier" test, which is not to be regarded
as valid legal doctrine nor interpreted per se as an international legal
principle applicable to IGOs.
Bearing in mind the above, we believe that an appropriate basis for the scope
of protection for IGO names and acronyms is already set out in the GAC Toronto
advice (i.e. preventing third-party registration of a domain name which
comprises an IGO name and/or acronym), the legal and public policy basis of
which has already been addressed in previous IGO submissions to the group.
Assuming such preventive protection would be granted, and provided prior notice
is given to and written permission obtained from the relevant IGO as a
necessary precondition for any registration of a domain name which corresponded
to an IGO name and/or acronym, we would also be open to discussing possible
mechanisms to manage any future claims of co-existence, should requests for
registration and claimed legitimate use of domain names corresponding to IGO
names and/or acronyms be forthcoming.  Without prejudice to the essential
principles above, we also think it is germane to bear in mind that the number
of IGOs in the world at present is around 200 (roughly comparable to the number
of country names already included in the reserve list), a number which
evidently reflects an infinitesimal fraction of the number of potentially
available domain names which do NOT correspond to an IGO name and/or acronym,
especially in a vastly expanded DNS.
Concerning Questions Posed on Nature of the problem / Evidence of harm
The nature of the problem as we see it from an IGO perspective is well
understood within ICANN and goes back years, with evidence of long-existing
problems and risks already before the group.  In particular, such evidence has
been provided by previous ICANN documents/reports (including e.g. the GNSO's
own 2007 Issues Report, referred to previously), as well as other submissions
by the OECD, UPU, WIPO and the IGO community (not to mention the extensive
evidence of funding campaign domain name abuse presented by the Red Cross,
which while not strictly an IGO itself, shares its humanitarian mission with
numerous IGOs).

It may also be worth recalling, as we have mentioned in previous submissions,
that the nature of protection which is provided for IGO names and acronyms
under international law and many national jurisdictions and the operation of
6ter of the Paris convention are not contingent on a demonstration of harm as
such (assessment of which can require an element of subjective judgment), but
rather on the relevant IGO demonstrating certain objective criteria as set out
in that treaty.  It is also notable that neither the GAC Toronto advice, nor
the Board resolution on IGO preventive protection, require a showing of
evidence of harm as such.

In any event, while one could always find further examples, we do not
understand the need to revisit these facts in view of the existing evidence and
records referred to above.  Perhaps most relevant for the current phase of the
DNS is the fact that this existing problem, and the consequent risk of harm,
will take on an even more serious dimension as a result of ICANN's pending
introduction of 1000+ new domains (roughly 50 times the present number).

In short, we believe that the answer and evidence in response to question A is
already before the group, and do not see the relevance or applicability of
question B.

We hope that the above responses are found helpful to the group's
deliberations, and we would be happy to provide further clarification as
required - in conclusion, we look forward to our continuing deliberations
on-line.

Yours sincerely,

David, Ricardo and Sam