ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

Re: FW: [gnso-igo-ingo] Qualification Criteria - common ground?

  • To: "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>, "Gregory S. Shatan" <GShatan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: FW: [gnso-igo-ingo] Qualification Criteria - common ground?
  • From: <Mary.Wong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 14:24:48 -0500

Greg has voiced my concerns far more eloquently than I could have
(which is one reason why I've not posted an answer that could come close
to a coherent one to the question!).

It seems to me that what we are striving to get to is a minimum
standard to qualify for special protections (of whatever nature), and
that many of those that have been suggested already, e.g. treaties,
national laws, organizational mandates etc., are a form of proxy for the
vague concept that "an organization be international in scope and
operations, and its primary mission be of such public importance that
some form of special protection for its name and acronym can be
justified."

If that is the case, then a set of qualifying criteria, phrased in the
alternative but that are not overly broad, could be developed that would
*not* lead to the result Greg has highlighted.

Cheers
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law
Director, Franklin Pierce Center for IP
Chair, Graduate IP Programs
UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE SCHOOL OF LAW
Two White Street
Concord, NH 03301
USA
Email: mary.wong@xxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 1-603-513-5143
Webpage: http://www.law.unh.edu/marywong/index.php
Selected writings available on the Social Science Research Network
(SSRN) at: http://ssrn.com/author=437584