ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Qualification Criteria

  • To: "'Claudia MACMASTER TAMARIT'" <MACMASTER@xxxxxxx>, "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Thomas Rickert <rickert@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Qualification Criteria
  • From: "Shatan, Gregory S." <GShatan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 16:28:10 +0000

I agree with Claudia that the proposed requirement that an organization receive
“multilateral or multinational protection beyond ordinary trademark laws” be
rejected.

I disagree for the most part with “extraordinary public service” as a criterion
or even as an inspiration for objective criteria, although this gets to the
“three dimensional” nature of the discussion.  In other words, if we are
talking about extraordinary remedies and prophylactic measures, I am more
inclined to support a higher bar.  However, if we are merely talking about
making sure that IGOs/INGOs have full access to existing RPMs (or RPMs that
track to existing RPMs), then  I think that “ordinary” reach and public service
(i.e., being an IGO or INGO) should be sufficient; if we still need some
threshold to distinguish INGOs from non-international NGOs, that threshold
should be relatively low (and objective and fair (not tailored)).

Greg

Gregory S. Shatan
Partner
Reed Smith LLP