ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

[gnso-igo-ingo] Protections for INGO names

  • To: Thomas Rickert <rickert@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-igo-ingo] Protections for INGO names
  • From: "Claudia MACMASTER TAMARIT" <MACMASTER@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 14:27:47 +0000

Dear Thomas and colleagues,

We welcome this opportunity to continue deliberations on special protection of
INGO identifiers, and thus jointly respond with the following proposal.

1.  We strongly support a grant of special protections at the top and second
level for certain INGOs.  And we believe there may be wider support in the WG
for this, in particular when we focus on so-called weaker protections.

Just like other private entities, INGOs face the almost certain risk of
increased abuse of their names/acronyms as more top-level domains enter the
domain name system.  However, unlike other private entities, non-profit INGOs
with global public missions (including well-known INGOs) are unacceptably
vulnerable when it comes to battling the increasing potential and impact of
cybersquatting.  In contrast to private corporations, INGOs often lack the
mandate, funds, resources and expertise to face this mounting risk.  (Some
might point to current levels of INGO participation in ICANN processes as
confirming the same.)  And where INGOs do somehow fight instances of
cybersquatting, the fight can come at the cost of diverting (often public)
resources away from serving the global community.  Interestingly, that global
public service includes helping to make technology and communication, the
Internet and the domain name system easier and safer for all to use.

That being said, we also stress the importance of balancing the interests of
protecting certain INGO names/acronyms with the interests of other people and
entities who may lawfully and legitimately use abbreviations and words that
happen to exactly match those names/acronyms.

2.  As such, it is with the intention to reduce the risk of cybersquatting
faced by INGOs with global public missions that we propose the below criteria
and special protections:

To be granted special protection, an INGO should apply to ICANN and demonstrate
all of the following criteria are satisfied:

                                 i.            The INGO benefits from some
privileges, immunities or other protections in law on the basis of the INGO's
proven (quasi-governmental) international status*;

                               ii.            The INGO enjoys existing legal
protection (including trademark protection) for its name/acronym in over 50+
countries or in three (of six) ICANN regions;

                              iii.            The INGO engages in recognized
global public work shown by;

a.       inclusion on the General Consultative Status of the UN ECOSOC list, or

b.      membership of 50+ national representative entities, which themselves
are governmental/ public agencies or non-governmental organizations that each
fully and solely represent their respective national interests in the INGO's
work and governance.

With a mind to areas where we saw greater support, we recommend special
protections along the lines of the following:

Top-level

·         Fee waiver (or objection funding) for objections filed to gTLDs/
Top-Levels.

·         Any other technical or financial assistance as may be appropriately
developed.**

Second-Level

·         Unlimited time period for TMCH claims notices being sent to
applicants of exact match registrations, copied to the INGO.

·         Any other technical or financial assistance as may be appropriately
developed, including for registration in the TMCH.**

3.  Although it may have been preferable to have developed objective criteria
under which all IGOs and INGOs may qualify, we do not believe that development
and adoption of the above (or like) proposal would be misaligned with
development of such criteria for other international organizations, namely
IGOs, the IOC, and the RCRC organizations.

In any eventual recommendation, caution is warranted in proposing any scheme
that does not carefully and appropriately balance the rights and legitimate
interests of all international organizations and the rights and legitimate
interests of the global public, which they may serve.

We hope this proposal is sufficiently concrete and balances the relevant
interests so there may be ground for support in this WG and the broader
community for this or similar proposals that may protect the names/acronyms of
global INGOs with public missions.

Sincerely,

Guilaine and Claudia

Guilaine Fournet (Ms)
Head of Sales and Business Development

[International Electrotechnical Commission]<http://www.iec.ch/>
IEC - International Electrotechnical Commission | Rue de Varembé 3 | P.O. Box
131 | CH-1211 Geneva 20 | Switzerland | tel: +41 22 919 0261 | skype:
iec-gnf<skype:iec-gnf?userinfo> | twitter<http://twitter.com/gnf_iec> |
linkedin<http://www.linkedin.com/in/fournet> | website<http://www.iec.ch/>

Claudia MacMaster Tamarit
Intellectual Property Rights Manager
[cid:image003.png@01CE4815.93D0C990]

* For example, both the IEC<http://www.iec.ch/> (International Electrotechnical
Commission) and ISO<http://www.iso.org/iso/home.html> (International
Organization for Standardization) are formally recognized as quasi-governmental
international organizations and granted certain fiscal privileges under Swiss
law.  While several dozen INGOs are headquartered in Switzerland, only a
handful have qualified for protection under this law.  There may of course be
other laws (unidentified here) which protect some aspect of an INGO in
recognition of its international work and status which may be the basis for
satisfaction of this first criterion.

**This placeholder may also include other carefully crafted protection
mechanisms, including flexibly blocking registration of INGO names/acronyms
from would-be cyber squatters while not restricting rights holders and
legitimate users from lawfully and expeditiously registering terms/words that
happen to coincide.  This is proving difficult.  Requiring an INGO (or others)
to dedicate resources to reviewing and granting permissions to potentially
voluminous requests (with consideration to the legal implications and
commercial needs of legitimate third party users) is unadvisable.  As in turn,
would be imposing undue restrictions and procedural burdens on other legitimate
users and rights holders in seeking to lawfully register terms/words that
happened to be exact matches of protected names/acronyms.

JPEG image

PNG image