ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

[gnso-igo-ingo] WITH MP3 LINK/ MP3 IGO-INGO Protections Policy Development Process (PDP) Working Group - Wednesday 29 May 2013

  • To: "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-igo-ingo] WITH MP3 LINK/ MP3 IGO-INGO Protections Policy Development Process (PDP) Working Group - Wednesday 29 May 2013
  • From: Julia Charvolen <julia.charvolen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 09:49:39 -0700

Dear All,

Please note that the next IGO-INGO Protections policy Development Process (PDP)
Working Group call is scheduled for Wednesday 5 June 2013 at 16:00 UTC

Apologies for the delay, please find the MP3 recording of the IGO-INGO
Protections Policy Development Process (PDP) Working Group teleconference held
on Wednesday, 29 May 2013 at 1600 UTC at:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-igo-ingo-20130529-en.mp3

On page:
http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#<http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#feb>may

Calendar page:
http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:
Jim Bikoff – IPC/IOC
Chuck Gomes – RySG
Alan Greenberg – ALAC
Catherine Gribbin – Red Cross
Stephane Hankins – NCSG
David Heasley – IOC
Debra Hughes – Red Cross
Kiran Malancharuvil – IPC
Judd Lauter – IOC
Christopher Rassi - Red Cross
Mike Rodenbaugh - CBUC
Greg Shatan – IPC
Claudia MacMaster Tamarit – ISO
David Roache-Turner - WIPO
Mason Cole - GNSO Council vice chair – RrSG

Apologies:
Mary Wong - NCUC
Thomas Rickert – NCA –Working group chair
Wolfgang Kleinwächter – NCSG
Avri Doria – NCSG
David Maher – RySG
Elizabeth Finberg - RySG

ICANN Staff:
Berry Cobb
Brian Peck
Marika Konings
Julia Charvolen

Thank you.
Kind regards,
Julia Charvolen
For GNSO Secretariat

Adobe Chat Transcript 29 May 2013:
Berry Cobb:Welcome to the 29 May 2013 IGO-INGO WG meeting.
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):I can
  Julia Charvolen:Good!
  Berry Cobb:FYI, Thomas will not be able to join us for the call today.  If
someone is willing to step in as Chair, it would be much appreciated.  Else,
Brian can lead the WG review of the report for today.
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):I would support Brian's acting as such.
  Alan Greenberg:Probably best for Brian to do it. Presuming we get a few more
people on the call.
  Alan Greenberg:Unless someone else wants to take off their advocate hat...
  Mason Cole:the operator is telling me there's no conference with PDP for the
passcode
  Mason Cole:oh now he found it
  Alan Greenberg:Mason, it is all a plot to keep you off of the call.
  Greg Shatan:On hold at the Conference Calling Centre
  Berry Cobb:FYI #2, I was not able to incorporate David's & Masons comments
into this version of the Draft Initial Report.  I will do so after this session.
  Mason Cole:Alan, no doubt.
  Mason Cole:No worries, Berry.  My fault for being tardy.
  Judd Lauter (IOC):David Heasley is on the call as well
  Julia Charvolen:Thank you noted!
  Alan Greenberg:Staff, please do NOT grant speakers rights to those with a
hand up. It removes the speaking queue order!
  Julia Charvolen:David Roache Turner joined the meeting
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):I agree with that point Alan.
  Berry Cobb:The red-highlighted changes are from CMT.
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):Good!
  Berry Cobb:This list came from our 1st spreadsheet when we divided by
sub-team.  I will supply defintions for the two identified by Alan.
  Kiran Malancharuvil:It's gorgeous
  Kiran Malancharuvil:well spotted Alan
  Greg Shatan:Council Council Counsel Council Concil
  Mike Rodenbaugh:ok i think i fixed my audio...
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):There is no consensus for full name
consensus.  At least from the comment received so far.
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):full name protection
  Kiran Malancharuvil:I agree with Mike that it needs to be parsed out.
  Kiran Malancharuvil:I have the same recollection as Mike actually.
  Kiran Malancharuvil:I think every option needs to be on the table, including
protection of full names and not, protecitn of acronyms and not
  Berry Cobb:The Matrix is only WG deliberations and none of that matrix is
reflected in this report.  Only the options.
  Kiran Malancharuvil:so lets put all the options in and move on
  Berry Cobb:Without any consensus.
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):I agree that options should be provided.
Agree with the introduction, Alan.
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):And with Kiran's last comment.
  Berry Cobb:Noted and we will make the change in the rev.
  Berry Cobb:next rev
  Mike Rodenbaugh:thanks B
  Mike Rodenbaugh:so there seems to be nobody stating (anymore) that there
should be protection for acronyms at top level...
  Mike Rodenbaugh:so why don't we say that in the report?
  Kiran Malancharuvil:I don't think everyone has spoken Mike.  Can we just be
satisfied at this point to put all the options in?
  Mike Rodenbaugh:UNICEF and UNESCO have other means to prevent top level
registration
  Mike Rodenbaugh:ok, thanks for that further background.  I appreciate it as a
new member of the WG.
  Alan Greenberg:The focus of this call should be to ensure that the draft
report reflects the views of WG participants, NOT to advocate for one position
or another.
  Kiran Malancharuvil:agreed Alan
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):Fully agree Alan
  Mason Cole:+1 Alan
  Julia Charvolen:If you are not speaking please mute your line, thank you
  Debra Hughes:My apologies...I need to leave the call for another meeting.
  Kiran Malancharuvil:I have to dip off the call as well.  Sorry.  Will look
forward to the fully integrated version with comments.
  David Roache-Turner:A general structural point - IGO and INGO recomendations
should really be split in general - the entities are different classes, as we
have often discussed, and conflating the two categories (apples and oranges)
for purposes of recomendations contributes to the confusion;  it also makes it
much more difficult for the casual reader tounderstand what is being considered
for recomendations in each case;  the absence of such spilt also makes it much
more diffilut to reflect differencesin group deliberations on each.
  Berry Cobb:Correct.  Per the Chair's guidelines, we tried to be as objective
as possible...to expedite delivery to the community.  Positions about the
options/recommendations would delay release and where the positions about any
could be posted in public comment forum.
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):Agree with Greg and David on iliciting
supportive rationale from comments
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):Agree with Alan
  David Roache-Turner:on a pragmatic levl, would simply suggest including an
option for "rationale (if any)" under each question
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):It's a pity we didn't separate these into (1)
who is protected (2) what is the protection itself and (3) and what is
protected.
  Berry Cobb:To minimize the number of variibles was the reason.  To do
otherwise, we would have 40 or so rows.
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):I can understand that.  I wonder if there is
a way to do that conceptually.  In the introduction perhaps, as Alan suggested.
  David Roache-Turner:+1 chuck
  Berry Cobb:To reiterate from 2nd level matrix.  This procedure most likely is
only required if any Identifiers are placed on a reserve list vs. a
Clearinghouse model.
  Berry Cobb:Option #8.
  Mason Cole:I have to leave the call now -- speak to everyone online and on
the next call on June 5.
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):Right.
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):Just need to be careful with the language,
but of course all options should be included.
  David Roache-Turner:Just to note re that last exchange - IGO names and
acronyms are not trademarks for purposes of the UDRP, URS,  TMCH (as also
indicated in our comments on the draft report)
  Berry Cobb:I'll be sure to fold those in to the next rev, Chuck.
  Greg Shatan:David R-T:  Aren't they protected by statute or treaty and thus
eligible for TMCH?
  David Roache-Turner:yes, as IGO names and acronyms, but not as word marks as
such, which the URS requires for standing
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):This highlights the importance of being
careful with language..
  Claudia MacMaster Tamarit (ISO):Thank you all.  And of course in particular
to Brian and Berry for digesting all these comments.
  Alan Greenberg:Indeed, and doing it in record time!