ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

[gnso-igo-ingo] Incumbents and any special second level principles that may be recommended

  • To: GNSO IGO INGO <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-igo-ingo] Incumbents and any special second level principles that may be recommended
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 16:38:47 -0400

Hi,

I have worked under the assumption that any names that do get special
protections at the second level on new gTLDs should have the same protection on
existing gTLDS.

My preference if for some set of processes for removing the names from existing
holders thought the use of a carrot and stick approach.

At the very least all such names should become non-transferable and
nonrenewable.  that too requires a policy decision and perhaps operational
recommendations.

That is why I have felt that this is a complicated issue that must be discussed
before we make any other decisions and I am very concerned about us not having
discussed it instead assuming it was low hanging fruit.  To just assume that
they will be blocked from that point further is, I beleive, insufficient.  I
know it is a hard and knotty problem, but if it is fair for new Registries, it
is fair for existing registries and both should be governed by the same set off
policies.  If these special protections are as important as we are being told
they are because of bad experiences in the existing market, then they must done
across the board.

avri