ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] GAC Durban Communique Issued -- Note references to our WG and our subject matter

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>, "Shatan, Gregory S." <GShatan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, GNSO IGO INGO <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] GAC Durban Communique Issued -- Note references to our WG and our subject matter
  • From: "Claudia MACMASTER TAMARIT" <MACMASTER@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 14:04:56 +0000

Hi all,

I agree with Chuck.  Clarification on this point is important.

For the holder of a trademark matching an IGO acronym any time outside the
normal (generally very short) period a registrar needs to effectuate the
registration placed by this kind of potentially un-balanced mechanism would be
inappropriate and unacceptable.  It would burden the capacity a trademark
holder has in the rightful commercial use of its trademark.  (And what of the
burden on IGOs with small numbers/language capacity in their administrative
staff? The implications if they can't quickly respond? The potential for
chilling criticism?)

For our part, it is very concerning to see these parallel actions without a
clear indication of how they will/should interact or whether, quite frankly,
it's appropriate.

As an aside, I apologize for my absence last week as I was very ill.

Sincerely,
Claudia