ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] Some important questions

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] Some important questions
  • From: Thomas Rickert <rickert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 12:24:18 +0200

Chuck,
thanks for your questions. Let me try an answer to both, but WG members please
do chime in.

> Regarding the use of the ECOSOC lists, some important questions were asked by
> one of the RySG members:
>
> 1.       Was it discussed how frequently this 2 lists change?  Is it an
> obligation for the registry operator to check for updates?
>
> 2.

I do not know how frequently the list changes, but unless a WG members knows,
we will try to get first hand information on that. As far as the second
question is concerned, there should be no obligation for the registry operator
to check for updates. That would only lead to friction and duplicate work as
some registry operators will implement changes sooner than others as they
monitor in shorter intervals, which would not be helpful. In my view, this
should be done centrally by ICANN and notifications should be pushed out to all
registry operators. Although I cannot influcence how ICANN would handle this, I
guess this would be the most (cost)-effective.

>     Was it discussed how changes would be accounted for, added  or deleted,
> the process for this?

It is my understanding that the list would be taken on an as is basis, i.e.
there is no process required for changes, such as additions or deletions. In my
view, additions should be treated as other designations that are already on the
list, unless they are already registered. In case they are registered, the
rules that we are now discussing in a separate discussion for existing TLDs
might apply. Where an organization is deleted from the list, the corresponding
domain names can be registered without any limitations prescribed by ICANN.
Whether a registry operator wishes to use special launch procedures for that
would be up to the registry operator's discretion.

This is just my personal view, which might help stimulate a discussion.

Thomas