ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Consensus Level

  • To: Thomas Rickert <rickert@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Consensus Level
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 22:29:59 +0000

Thanks Thomas for all the time you spent on this.  I think you did an excellent
job.

It is unfortunate that we did not get responses from the registrars, the BC and
the ISCPC because all of them will have votes when the Council considers the
recommendations in the final report, but we can only work with what we have.

My personal comments for each of the tables are provided below.  Note there is
only one that I think deserves further discussion, which can occur on list
and/or in our call next week.

Chuck

RCRC
In my opinion your assessments were consistently applied to the responses in
the consensus call and to the work of the group.

IOC

*         If we just look at the responses to the consensus call, an assessment
of 'consensus' on 1 & 2 would not be accurate; on those results only, I think
the best we could say is 'strong support w/ significant opposition'.  But I
think you are correct on these two when we factor our work of the last several
months.

*         Your support assessments for 3 &4 seem accurate to me based on both
the consensus call responses and the work of the group.

IGOs

*         Your support assessment for 1, 3, 4 & 6 seem consistent with the way
you assessed the RCRC.

*         Calling 2 'consensus' is not quite as clear from the consensus call
results because of the ALAC support but I agree with it when we consider the WG
work.  If the only think bothering the ALAC is the exception procedure, it
would have been good to know that sooner because that might have been easy to
fix; maybe we still could.  I think though that your assessment is right when
we factor in the WG work.

*         Your support assessment for 5 seems correct to me.

INGOs

*         Your support assessment for 1 seems accurate because of the
divergence of the IPC support; that along with the opposition by the NCSG and
the 'we can live with it' from the ALAC moves it away from consensus in my
opinion.  And I think the WG work confirms that.

*         Your support assessment for 2 seems consistent with the RCRC support
assessments.

*         I think it is quite clear that there is divergence for 3 & 6 in the
consensus call results and in our WG efforts.

*         The only difference in the consensus call results for 2 & 4 is the
ALAC support for 2 and 'can live with' for 4 .  The WG efforts were not clear
enough in my view to go one way or the other so I am okay with respecting your
call on this.

*         Your support assessments for 5 & 7 seem to be obvious from the
consensus call results and I don't think the WG efforts change them in any way.

General Recommendations for All Organizations

*         Your support assessments for 1 (The WG recommends that the respective
policies are amended so that curative rights of the UDRP and URS can be used by
those organizations that are granted protections based on their identified
designations.), 2 (Top-Level protections of Exact Match, Acronym identifiers
are placed in Applicant Guidebook section 2.2.1.2.3, of the Applicant
Guidebook, Strings "Ineligible for Delegation" (see option #4 for a variation
of this)), 4 (Second-Level protections of Exact Match, Acronym identifiers are
placed in Specification 5 of Registry Agreement), 6 (Fee waivers or reduced
pricing (or limited subsidies) for registering into the Trademark Clearinghouse
the identifiers of IGO-INGO organizations), 7 (IGO-INGOs allowed to participate
in permanent Claims Notification of each gTLD launch) & 8 (Fee waivers or
reduced pricing for IGO-INGOs filing a URS or UDRP action) seem like no
brainers to me; divergence is the right call in my view for all of these as you
decided.

*         I have trouble seeing how 3 (IGO-INGO organizations be granted a fee
waiver (or funding) for objections filed to applied-for gTLDs at the
Top-Level)warrants "strong support with significant opposition"; it seems like
'divergence' to me.  I look forward to hearing your rationale.

*         5 (IGO-INGOs allowed to participate in Sunrise phase of each new gTLD
launch) seems like a hard call between 'strong support with significant
opposition' and 'divergence' so I will simply respect your judgment.