ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Proposed Agenda - IGO-INGO Meeting 16 Oct 2013

  • To: Berry Cobb <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Proposed Agenda - IGO-INGO Meeting 16 Oct 2013
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 14:11:21 +0000

After reviewing several of the comments I started wondering how we would keep
track of them and use them in determining the WG final level of support for
each recommendation.  Reviewing and analyzing public comments is always a
challenging task unless they are unanimous in their positions, which of course
is rare in our environment.  In this case that is compounded by the fact that
there are a large number of recommendations for which we have to determine the
WG's final level of support (i.e., full consensus, consensus, strong support
with significant opposition, divergence).

For my own purposes it would be helpful if there was a summary of the following
for each recommendation:  the total # of comments in support, the total # of
comments opposed and the total # of comments that relate to a specific
recommendation but do that clearly support it of oppose it.  In addition,
assuming that all comments should not be treated equally (e.g., a comment from
one individual should not be weighted the same as a comment from a group that
represents multiple individuals), it would be helpful to me if the comments
were organized into categories like the following: comments from GNSO groups
(NCSG, NPOC, CSG, BC, IPC, ISP, RrSG, RySG, ALAC) and Others (Individuals,
Organizations, Small Groups and Large Groups).  I fully realize that there are
other factors that come into play besides simply counting how many support or
oppose recommendations and we should do our best to include those as needed,
but having a summary as I described should help us quickly identify the low
hanging fruit; then we can spend further time on those that are not so obvious.

To illustrate a way of doing this, I prepared the spreadsheet that is attached.
 Note that I only did it for one of the recommendation categories, the IOC
recommendations.  I chose the IOC because it had a small number of
recommendations but the concept is directly applicable to any category of
recommendations.  If we applied this approach, the IOC category would become
one of multiple workbooks (tabs) in a larger spreadsheet.  If you look at the
spreadsheet that details the RySG positions on the recommendations, you will
see what I mean.

If others think this is a useful and workable approach, a complete spreadsheet
would first need to be designed; this would be a fairly easy task.  The more
challenging task would be to do an extensive review and analysis of all the
comments and fill the resulting data into the spreadsheet.  Here are some steps
that could be used to accomplish the latter task:

1.       Decide what categories of recommendations we want to use in our final
report.  Note that the RySG used the following seven categories: RCRC, IOC,
IGOs, INGOs, General, Existing Registries & Exception Procedures.

2.       Modify the Public Comments Review Tool that Berry distributed by
adding the following columns: Source of Comments (GNSO Group or Other), Type of
Comment Source (Identity of GNSO Group or Other  Category), for each of the
recommendation categories (RCRC, IOC, etc.) a column for each of the
recommendations, and a comment column.

3.       Solicit volunteers to review & analyze subsets of comments and fill in
the data for the new columns describe in step 2.  In cases of comments
submitted by WG participants, I think it would be best if the applicable WG
members did this for their comments but we will also need volunteers to do this
for other comments.  If there are plenty of volunteers, we should be able to
spread the workload out pretty well.

4.       Form small groups of 2 or 3 independent WG members to review the
results of step 3 as a quality control measure.  Again, if there are plenty of
volunteers, we should be able to spread the workload out on this.

5.       Enter the results of steps 3 & 4 into the summary spreadsheet.

It seems to me that steps 1, 2 and 3 could begin right away and we could start
planning for how to choose the small groups in step 4 right away as well.

Once step 5 is done, we then should be ready as a full WG to make our final
decisions about WG level of support for each recommendation in our Final Report.

I personally believe that this approach or some variation of it would provide
us a fairly objective way to respond to public comments and incorporate them
into our final decisions.  It also should be fairly easy to explain our
rationale in each case.

I am happy to discuss this further in our call today and to answer questions.

Chuck