ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-improvem-impl-sc]

RE: [gnso-improvem-impl-sc] New task

  • To: "'Avri Doria'" <avri@xxxxxxxx>, "'gnso-improvem-impl-sc@xxxxxxxxx'" <gnso-improvem-impl-sc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-improvem-impl-sc] New task
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 19:37:44 -0500

I will restate what I said on the Council call.  We are not supposed to as a
group focus on voting.  We are supposed to come to "consensus" on items.  If
there is a "consensus" at any time of the Council on any given policy (provided
that the processes were followed by the working group making the
recommendation), then that is what should govern. The last evolution and reform
of icann report by the London School of Economics as supported by the Board
Governance Committee emphasized this over and over again.  We are not supposed
to be a voting body, so lets focus back on consensus.

All of the comments I have seen from those that did not like the result in the
last council meeting have not addressed the fact that ultimately there was a
"consensus" on the issue.  The fact that there had to be a second measurement
of consensus on the item to me seems irrelevant and unnecessarily procedural.
There was no abuse of process.  There was no abuse within the working group
making the recommendation.  There is not evidence that there were improper
conflicts, etc.  Absent any showing of abuse, harassment, fraud, illegality, or
willful negligence, I believe having a second measurement of consensus is not
an issue.

Best regards,

Jeffrey J. Neuman

Sent from iPad.  Please excuse any typos.