ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-improvem-impl-sc]

[gnso-improvem-impl-sc] On SCI consensus and impasse

  • To: Gnso-improvem-impl-sc@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-improvem-impl-sc] On SCI consensus and impasse
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 17:40:04 -0500

Hi,

As I wrote in the Adobe chat, I strongly resist any attempt to change the SCI
into a rough consensus group.
I think it is important, as we saw with the PDP termination case, that some one
holding out because they see a problem improves our product.

Also, we do have a mechanism for getting around this.  At any point, the SCI
can make a consensus decision to go rough consensus.  As someone who sometimes
finds herself in a minority of one and in impasse with others in a group
(happens in NCUC and NCSG too) I recognize that there are possible situations
that would involve principles that could not be bridged.  In such a
circumstance, though, I can imagine being part of a consensus agreement to a
rough consensus decision with dissenting opinion. The point, however, is that
this has to be the exception and has to be agreed to by all.

avri