ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-improvem-impl-sc]

[gnso-improvem-impl-sc] RE: Request to the SCI - Vote switching

  • To: "'martinsutton@xxxxxxxx'" <martinsutton@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-improvem-impl-sc] RE: Request to the SCI - Vote switching
  • From: "Aikman-Scalese, Anne" <AAikman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 18:21:21 +0000

Martin,
Thank you for your communication of February 26 raising the issue of potential
“vote switching” among constituencies.  The SCI response to your question was
developed after full discussion on the SCI list.  Although it took a while to
sort out the procedural issues, we believe we have arrived at the appropriate
answer.

Although the BC Charter team presents an interesting issue, the question is not
properly before the SCI at this time since (1) we did not receive the question
from the GNSO Council or a group chartered by the GNSO Council and (2) we have
not yet formulated or presented to Council a plan for periodic review of the
Operating Procedures which might involve review of issues related to 6.1.2(j)
and 6.2.6(d) of these Procedures, both of which address the rule that "No legal
or natural person should be a voting member of more than one Group."

Angie Graves is the primary BC representative to the SCI and has volunteered to
discuss this topic with you informally so that it can be explored further
within the BC.

Although the SCI is unable to take up consideration of the issue raised by the
BC Charter Review Team at this time, we recognize the potential problem that
this could cause. Since the question arose during the BC subteam’s discussion
of a revision of its Charter, it may be helpful for the BC - as part of its
internal deliberations and process - to determine whether to seek external
input and suggestions for mitigation of this potential problem. For instance,
BC leadership could reach out to other SG/C leaders to see if a common GNSO
position can be developed around the issue. While we do not ourselves know if
other SG/Cs are going to be reviewing their charters at this time, we note that
each SG/C charter is charged with specifying its own process for charter
amendment.

We hope the above is helpful to the BC’s Charter Review Team’s deliberations.
Thank you,
Anne
GNSO SCI Chair, 2015

[cid:image001.gif@01D0663E.C830C7F0]

Anne E. Aikman-Scalese, Of Counsel

Lewis Roca Rothgerber LLP |

One South Church Avenue Suite 700 | Tucson, Arizona 85701-1611

(T) 520.629.4428 | (F) 520.879.4725

AAikman@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:AAikman@xxxxxxxxxx> |
www.LRRLaw.com<http://www.lrrlaw.com/>