ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-improvem-impl-sc]

[gnso-improvem-impl-sc] MP3 recording of the SCI meeting - 17 September 2015

  • To: "gnso-improvem-impl-sc@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-improvem-impl-sc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-improvem-impl-sc] MP3 recording of the SCI meeting - 17 September 2015
  • From: Terri Agnew <terri.agnew@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 20:29:00 +0000

Dear All,

Please find the MP3 recording of the Standing Committee on Improvements
Implementation meeting held on Thursday, 17 September 2015:
http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-sci-17sep15-en.mp3<http://mailer.samanage.com/wf/click?upn=NrFWbrBstcrPWP369qgbqlXiSKeL20xnUXzI03ZqpssU5iiCknix1ril-2FmMjkdInZ-2FIoCDsXPfpU0g-2BD2mny7Q-3D-3D_nEX-2FaOijqgcJlSz5SkmueJu3tRbmaDiuX89gT35tStEeSHP9whdoceObpMxYsFLQddiMZpQjIv8dk6BsBGSJXH7VWN4SGLCJgbGKCk6E-2FTErjF4OKNQt65Dk9NF54IJ9kQpmDNySj7bbNz9G4dXi5BgbCZotTx8KNfyeB0z00f8KsMfETeTNKd7vy2kKI7tttQUIwid4NAhxXgT3nZYwmpHe-2BDUQCeddWRqLSlhih6vbNxkn5kruk6jpET-2BSKQveFBD9UbfOkqIZP4UAsqpANsk-2F4V7vc-2B9KDAHMbQGce7IpJExVIDRx8c7xfQ2stKwY7fYPoAuMc5sMus5xfqtfEEmrFtGVp-2Bf1fM-2FIKar37Ab22sLPN8hxpcuAB8zTRvWj8-2FJA-2B4PxUpsS3qaSLWw8sX7XE7-2BzPHTtr6QIR11T89hpRM-2BA6D8w-2FOKXlkuZD9IIay5mXoSXuijSo0TYDV4oyl0qbPz8leue8-2BDcCnw7z9LYLCf6cacyok-2BU06VjtQGL>

On page: http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#sep

(transcripts and recording are found on the calendar page)

Attendees:

Rudi Vansnick - NPOC - Primary - Vice Chair

Amr Elsadr - NCUC - Primary

Avri Doria - NCSG - Primary

Lori Schulman - IPC - Alternate

Angie Graves - BC - Primary

Jennifer Standiford - RrSG - Primary

Anne Aikman Scalese - IPC - Primary - Chair

Apologies:

Wolf-Ulrich Knoben - ISPCP - Primary

ICANN Staff:

Julie Hedlund

Marika Konings

Terri Agnew

Let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you.
Kind regards,
Terri Agnew
Adobe Chat Transcript 17 September 2015

   Terri Agnew:Welcome to the Standing Committee on Improvements Implementation
on Thursday, 17 September 2015

  Jennifer Standiford:HI Terri

  Terri Agnew:Welcome Jennifer!

  Jennifer Standiford:i will follow along for this meeing via chat - i am also
on the UASG call at the same time.

  Amr Elsadr:Hi Terri and all. Apologies in advance for any background noise
today.

  Avri Doria:I will also be on two calls at once, also listeinign in to the
UASG meeting.

  Terri Agnew:Lori Schulman has joined audio

  Rudi Vansnick:and as i had never happened it is unreasonable to spend too
much time in the SCI

  Rudi Vansnick:and as it had ... sorry

  Amr Elsadr:I've always been a fan of consensus calls being done on-list, not
on calls.

  Amr Elsadr:Perhaps a deadline to raise a lack of consensus?

  Marika Konings:I think on most of the previous issues a call for consensus
would go out on the mailing list - those objecting would be asked to express
their view on the mailing list.

  Amr Elsadr:I like Marika's suggestion. Will get the job done. :)

  Rudi Vansnick:which consensus does the council expect ?

  Marika Konings:for SCI issues it is full consensus

  Rudi Vansnick:yes indeed Marika's proposal would most probably work for us

  Marika Konings:it doesn't specify how that is assessed

  Avri Doria:actually i think full consensus applies, which don't need to be
affirmative about it.

  Marika Konings:@Avri - that is also my understanding

  Avri Doria:i think Marika's suggest of no objections befor enext meeting is
sufficinet.

  Amr Elsadr:Although full consensus is not necessary, no harm in getting it
anyway. I believe we do have full consensus on this. We just need to go through
the motions of a consensus call. I suggest doing this on list (using "passive"
consensus).

  Amr Elsadr:No objections.

  Marika Konings:@Anne - yes, that is correct

  Marika Konings:with regard to your question on current practice

  Marika Konings:As a reminder, the Council asked the SCI to: codify the
existing customary practices of the GNSO Council (as described above).If the
SCI believes that the current practices are inappropriate, the SCI should
convey its reasons for such belief to the Council and develop new processes to
govern the seconding of motions and amendments to motions.

  Amr Elsadr:@Marika: regarding whether or not the current practices are
appropriate, some on council are not very eager about the idea to change the
current practices at all.

  Amr Elsadr:Not so sure about the seconder.

  Marika Konings:As far as I recall, if a motion has been seconded, the
seconder also would need to agree

  Amr Elsadr:Technically, a new more agreeable seconder could be recruited to
replace the first one during the council meeting. :)

  Amr Elsadr:But since seconding motions is not in the GNSO OP at all..., it's
all a little fuzzy.

  Marika Konings:@Amr, that is also within the request of the Council to the
SCI. To clarify whether, how and by whom a properly submitted motion is to be
seconded

  Amr Elsadr:Yup.

  Marika Konings:@Anne - I have my hand up. Not sure if you are seeing it.

  Avri Doria:true but that has been a practice forever.  since at least 2005

  Amr Elsadr:In BA, the council was asked to vote on the amendment to the
motion before voting on the actual motion.

  Amr Elsadr:Something we may wish to also consider.

  Marika Konings:@Amr - that has also been the standing practice

  Marika Konings:in the case of an unfriendly motion

  Amr Elsadr:Ah. Wasn't familiar with that one. Thanks Marika. ;-)

  Marika Konings:A Council member can ask for a deferral if they are of the
view that the amendment needs to be further considered.

  Rudi Vansnick:agree with Amr

  Marika Konings:I found Mary's overview and I have posted that on the right
side in the note pod

  Marika Konings:the only issue is when the motion has already been deferred
once....

  Amr Elsadr:To be clear, deferral of motions is not a tradition. It is in the
OPs.

  Marika Konings:as no second deferral is allowed

  Rudi Vansnick:does a second deferral could end up as a new motion entered

  Amr Elsadr:@Rudi: I was just thinking about that. After a deferral, what
would happen if another amendment was suggested (at the second council
meeting). :)

  Terri Agnew:Julie has disconnected from audio

  Marika Konings:I'm looking at the operating procedures, but cannot find it -
I thought it was a clarification that was provided by the SCI and not a change
to the operating procedures, but will keep on looking.

  Amr Elsadr:I was actually unaware of the need of the chair to approve the
deferral. Will have to refresh my memory. Thanks.

  Rudi Vansnick:i remember it happened if i'm not wrong it was in Singapore

  Amr Elsadr:We have some homework. :)

  Marika Konings:I'll make a note of that

  Amr Elsadr:Yes..., thanks Anne. By codify, I meant suggest changes to the OPs.

  Lori Schulman:How would we "document"  Would be appropriate to ask for some
kind of flow?

  Marika Konings:The Council resolution also said: The GNSO Council suggests
that in carrying out this task the SCI consult past GNSO Chairs and Councilors
as well as commonly accepted guides and practices (such as Robert's Rules of
Order) and other ICANN bodies (such as the Board and other SO/ACs).

  Lori Schulman:I see Mary's doc but I wouldn't say its definitive.

  Marika Konings:and Anne is correct, the Council request was based on the
procedure as it was outlined by Mary (as the process to codify)

  Marika Konings:it was part of the request that the Council voted on

  Lori Schulman:Thank you Marika.  I was not clear about that.

  Amr Elsadr:Hmm..., looking through the OPs now. Can't find the bit on
deferral of motions. Will go through it more thoroughly offline.

  Rudi Vansnick:thanks Ann for this good meeting

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks all. Bye.

  Marika Konings:It was a letter clariying, no change to ops procedures. I'll
send it out shortly.

  Marika Konings:Thanks Anne

  Lori Schulman:Thanks for clarifying tough topics Anee.