ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-improvem-impl-sc]

Re: [gnso-improvem-impl-sc] Actions re: Current Practice in Relation to Motions

  • To: Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-improvem-impl-sc] Actions re: Current Practice in Relation to Motions
  • From: Amr Elsadr <aelsadr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 22:31:52 +0200

Hi Julie,

Apologies to you, Mary and all for any negligence on my part to this. I was not
aware that the SCI had reached an agreement on this topic. I have two points I
would still like to discuss further:

> On Mar 23, 2016, at 9:41 PM, Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[SNIP]

> Sub Team A Recommendations
>
> ISSUE 1: Must every motion be seconded?
> AGREED: Every motion must be seconded before a vote.
> ACTION: UPDATE THE PROCESS AND FLOW CHART ACCORDINGLY (in red below and
> attached):
> 5.    If a GNSO Council member (other than the proposer) seconds the motion
> the GNSO Council Chair calls for its discussion or a vote.
>
> ISSUE 2: Must the seconder be not just a different Councilor but also a
> Councilor from a different Stakeholder Group/Constituency?
> AGREED: Do not include a requirement that the seconder should be from a
> different stakeholder group or constituency.
> ACTION: NO CHANGE TO THE CURRENT PROCESS.
>
> ISSUE 3: Should there be a deadline for motions to be seconded?
> AGREED: A motion should be seconded prior to discussion.
> ATION: UPDATE THE PROCESS AND FLOW CHART ACCORDINGLY (in red below and
> attached):
> 4.    The motion can be discussed up to the Council meeting, but discussion
> and voting on the motion at the Council meeting cannot proceed without a
> second.

Is there a reason why the SCI believes that motions should not be discussed
during Council meetings if not seconded? Couldn’t we leave it to the discretion
of the Council to make this decision?

> ISSUE 4: Should there be a time limit /deadline for submitting amendments, to
> allow each SG/C adequate time to discuss them rather than have the Council
> deal with what could potentially be substantively new subject matter "on the
> fly" during a Council meeting? When should a motion be deferred in certain
> circumstances, e.g. "competing" amendments?
> AGREED: Do not require a deadline for submission of amendments prior to, or
> during, discussion of a motion.
> ACTION: NO CHANGE TO CURRENT PROCESS.

I was actually hoping that we could recommend a deadline for suggesting
amendments to motions. I’d be happy to discuss this on tomorrow’s call, if time
permits.

Thanks.

Amr