ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-improvements-report-2008]

Enhancing Public Participation in the GNSO

  • To: gnso-improvements-report-2008@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Enhancing Public Participation in the GNSO
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 05:16:25 -0700 (PDT)

When ICANN's Evolution and Reform Committee first
conceptualized the service of Nominating Committee
appointees in the GNSO, it understood that these
appointees were to function "without any real or
perceived obligations to any particular constituency"
and "as the neutral tiebreakers".

While we await the issuance of the BCG's "NomCom
Improvement Process" document, I would like to tender
a simple proposal for consideration.  I believe that
we are at the point where we may augment our thinking
to regard these appointees as "representatives of the
public interest".

With this concept in mind, I would propose allowing
these appointees to function as a defacto "public
constituency".  This constituency would have it's own
listserv, a website, regularly scheduled
teleconferences, etc. (all the normal trappings of a
constituency) that would allow the public to properly
interact with its designated representatives.

To implement this proposal, all that is called for is
a tiny modicum of Staff support to get this virtual
constituency up and running.

All other current participants in the GNSO have such
mechanisms at their disposal.  It's time to give the
Nominating Committee appointees the same set of tools
that others enjoy to better do their jobs.

Access, No Cost.