ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-improvements]

Re: [ga] DNS Update Service

  • To: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] DNS Update Service
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 01:25:53 -0800

Karl and all,

  Without registrar transaction data included, any "escrow"
would be incomplete and therefore not meet recent US
data retention law/legal requirements.  Ergo Verisigns
proposal in not adequate.  However I for one would
not be at all surprised if ICANN approved Versigns
proposal anyway knowing full well it does not meet
said US data retention law/legal requirements.

Karl Auerbach wrote:

> I have at various times proposed that ICANN's "escrow" not be a static
> snapshot but rather a journal of the updates that occur.  This, when
> coupled with periodic snapshots, is mechanism that better reflects what
> is happening to registrations and is more difficult for insiders to
> modify without detection.
>
> Now, this Verisign proposal, which makes sense both to the community and
> to Verisign's income statement, is really just that journal but with the
> registrar information removed.
>
> Rather than making this yet another product for Verisign to profit from
> its special position, ICANN should allow third parties to obtain the
> full feed of registration update transactions and produce whatever
> reports and digests they feel appropriate.
>
> The fees for this should be reasonable and be clearly based on actual
> costs and ought to be paid to ICANN, not Verisign.
>
> The registrar data could be elided from the stream if we as a community
> feel that such is appropriate to protect the privacy of the business
> relationships of registrars (although given their stance on whois, I'm
> not sure that I'd want to offer more than they give to us registrants).
>
> However, the full flow, including registrar data, ought to be
> accumulated by ICANN as part of its yet-to-be-created
> escrow/data-reconstruction systems.
>
>                 --karl--

Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827