ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-iocrc-dt]

Re: [gnso-iocrc-dt] Summing up Option 7

  • To: Jim Bikoff <jbikoff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-iocrc-dt] Summing up Option 7
  • From: Thomas Rickert <rickert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 13:36:17 +0100

Jim,
thanks for your proposal.

I have one question / suggestion for you.

>         (2) If the applied-for TLD is not identical to any of the terms in
> 2.2.1.2.3, but fails initial string similarity review with one of those
> protected terms, the applicant may attempt to:
>
>             (a) obtain a letter of non-objection from the IOC or Red Cross; or
>
>             (b) claim that it has a legitimate interest in the string; and
>
>             (c) explain why it believes that the new TLD is not confusingly
> similar to one of the protected strings and makes evident that it does not
> refer to the IOC, the Red Cross, or any Olympic or Red Cross activity.
>
>                 (d) A determination in favor of the applicant under this
> provision would not preclude the IOC, the Red Cross, or other interested
> parties from bringing a legal rights objection or otherwise contesting the
> determination.
To me, there is no reason why a party that has obtained a letter of
non-objection needs to make explanations as required by (c) since I am certain
that such explanations will be asked for prior to issuing the letter of
non-objection.

In the light of this assumption I am not sure whether the wording reflects
that. One may read it as either (a) or (b) needs to be present together with
(c).

I therefore suggest you put (b) and (c) in one section so that the clause reads:

>      (2) If the applied-for TLD is not identical to any of the terms in
> 2.2.1.2.3, but fails initial string similarity review with one of those
> protected terms, the applicant may attempt to:
>
>             (a) obtain a letter of non-objection from the IOC or Red Cross; or
>
>             (b) claim that it has a legitimate interest in the string; and
> explain why it believes that the new TLD is not confusingly similar to one of
> the protected strings and makes evident that it does not refer to the IOC,
> the Red Cross, or any Olympic or Red Cross activity.
>
>                 (c) A determination in favor of the applicant under this
> provision would not preclude the IOC, the Red Cross, or other interested
> parties from bringing a legal rights objection or otherwise contesting the
> determination.

Thanks,
Thomas

Am 21.02.2012 um 07:18 schrieb Alan Greenberg:

> Jim,
>
> My first reaction to Chuck question was similar to yours, however, on
> thinking about it, how would we handle that situation where the organization
> who has the absolute rights to those strings chooses to, for whatever
> reasons, wants to have a third-party take responsibility for it.
>
> Alan
>
> At 20/02/2012 05:41 PM, Jim Bikoff wrote:
>> Chuck,
>>
>> If there was such an application a letter of non-objection or support would
>> probably not be issued since for exact matches, as contrasted with the
>> proposal for similar strings,  the words have been provided absolute
>> protection.
>> Best,
>> Jim
>> James L. Bikoff
>> Silverberg, Goldman & Bikoff, LLP
>> 1101 30th Street, NW
>> Suite 120
>> Washington, DC 20007
>> Tel: 202-944-3303
>> Fax: 202-944-3306
>> jbikoff@xxxxxxxxx
>>

>> From: "Gomes, Chuck" Date: February 20, 2012 3:12:11 PM EST
>> To: Jim Bikoff <jbikoff@xxxxxxxxx>, "Neuman, Jeff (Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx )"
>> >, " <gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx >
>> Subject: RE: Summing up Option 7
>>
>> Jim,
>>
>> I have one more clarifying question about this:  In the case of an exact
>> match, would you support registration by another entity if the IOC or RC
>> provided a letter of support or non-objection?
>>
>> Chuck

Thomas Rickert, Rechtsanwalt
Schollmeyer &  Rickert Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft m.b.H. (i.e. law firm)
Geschäftsführer / CEO: Torsten Schollmeyer, Thomas Rickert
HRB 9262, AG Bonn

Büro / Office Bonn:
Kaiserplatz 7-9, 53113 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 (0)228 74 898 - 0

Büro / Office Frankfurt a.M.:
Savignystraße 43, 60325 Frankfurt, Germany
Phone: +49 (0)69 714 021 - 56

Zentralfax: +49 (0)228 74 898 - 66

mailto: rickert@xxxxxxxxxxx
skype-id: trickert