ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-iocrc-dt]

[gnso-iocrc-dt] RE: List of Languages for IOC & RC

  • To: Konstantinos Komaitis <k.komaitis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-iocrc-dt] RE: List of Languages for IOC & RC
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 13:06:24 +0000

As I have shared in the past,  the major concern RySG members had about giving
special protection to the IOC and RC names was the risk of setting unwarranted
precedents  for other names.  The GAC did an excellent job of dealing with that
concern by pointing out the unique status of the IOC and RC names in
international treaties and thereby caused us to be supportive of the GAC
recommendations.  Therefore, to the extent that we can tie our recommendations
regarding protection for translations of the IOC and RC names to the same
international treaties, I believe that we will be on much more solid ground and
minimize the risk of us expanding the scope of the treaties.

Chuck