ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-iocrc-dt]

[gnso-iocrc-dt] RE: Draft Status Report to send to the GAC on Feb 29th

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-iocrc-dt] RE: Draft Status Report to send to the GAC on Feb 29th
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 23:06:39 +0000

Thanks Jeff.  I think this is well done and will be very helpful to those not
part of the DT.

In the 2nd paragraph on page 2 that I copy here with suggested edits that are
highlighted, I think it would be helpful to clarify that you are talking about
recommendations for the top level only and that we are still working on
translations:  "Next Steps ---  We are currently soliciting feedback from the
Drafting Team and GNSO Community regarding DT recommendations at the top level
and are also seeking to get feedback from the GAC in Costa Rica.  Assuming that
a consensus is reached in the Drafting Team and Council that is also supported
by the GAC, we will strive to hold a GNSO Council vote in Costa Rica on the
recommendations to send to the ICANN Board.  Note that the DT is still working
on the translation issue. "

The first full paragraph on page 4 says: "In addition, the Drafting Team also
notes that even in the unlikely event that some third party applies for an IOC
or RCRC term in a language that was not contained on the list, the IOC or RCRC,
as applicable, may still challenge that new gTLD application under a "Legal
Rights Objection" as set forth in the Applicant Guidebook."  Would it also be
possible for the IOC or RCRC to file an objection based on new gTLD
recommendation 2 regarding string similarity?  Reserved names are included so
the question that needs to be asked and answered is whether 'Modified Reserved
Names' would apply.  We may need to make a recommendation in that regard.

Chuck