ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-iocrc-dt]

[gnso-iocrc-dt] RE: RCRC views regarding protection at the second level

  • To: "Hughes, Debra Y." <Debra.Hughes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-iocrc-dt] RE: RCRC views regarding protection at the second level
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 21:49:41 +0000

Thanks Debbie.  This is very helpful to me.

I have concerns though about the following in the next to last paragraph:  "Any
registry receiving a request of registration of a second-level domain should
therefore have an automatic system by which the request for registration of any
denomination from the list or an imitation thereof should raise a red flag,
requiring the registry to check whether the user is legitimate."  An automatic
system is possible if there is a list of names that are excluded.  But when I
see words like "any denomination" or "an imitation thereof", I don't know how
that can be automated.  Similarly, how could a similarity test be done?

Chuck