ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-iocrc-dt]

Re: [gnso-iocrc-dt] RE: IOC / RC Working Group Progress

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Kurt Pritz <kurt.pritz@xxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-iocrc-dt] RE: IOC / RC Working Group Progress
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 16:36:21 -0500

I will put my two cents in on this. And be just a bit blunter than my colleagues.

I was really thrown for a loop by this statement. As Jeff implied, we took as a given that the Board HAD given basic protection to the two groups. I do not believe that anyone in the group felt we could simply reverse that initiative and effectively say NO to the GAC where the Board had already said YES (and have that position ultimately ratified by the Board). If that was within our purview, I suspect quite a few people in the group (and the organizations they represent) would have done just that.

Nor are we in a position to say why these two organizations deserve special treatment when others don't. The GAC documents "a tapestry of treaties and laws" claiming that these two organizations were indeed unique. If we are to question that, perhaps we should have been given access to a team of legal scholars.

To rephrase what Jeff said, we took as a given that we were not there to overturn the Board decision, since that was already in the AG and was "operational". But we did feel that it was sufficiently flawed as to cause significant problems and therefore need to be adjusted. That is what we have done in this phase.

Taking out my crystal ball, I predict that our discussions on 2nd level protection will take a VERY different path in light of this present document.

Alan