ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-iocrc-dt]

RE: [gnso-iocrc-dt] FW: Session on IOC/RC

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>, <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-iocrc-dt] FW: Session on IOC/RC
  • From: "Shatan, Gregory S." <GShatan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 23:34:07 -0500

I think these comments miss the point, in part because the picture that the
OECD is seeing is incomplete.  I would refer them back to the GAC's original
letter, which referred to the tapestry of protection for IOC and RCRC names
based on both treaty protection and the protection afforded by specific
national laws of many jurisdictions.  To reduce this to a "battle of the
treaties" is to ignore half the picture.  The "criteria" referred to is the
combination of treaty protections and national law protections, not those of
treaty protection.

The discussion of whether the IOC and RCRC organizations can conclude treaties
or are "subjects" of international law is interesting, but completely
irrelevant.  No one ever contended that the IOC and RCRC could conclude
treaties, and the fact they cannot is beside the point.  The references in the
meeting to "international law" were, I believe, just references to the treaties
relevant to the IOC and RCRC, not to public "international law" per se.  As a
technical matter, the reference to "international law" may have been
inaccurate, since "international law" (or at least "public international law")
is by the law governing relationships between nations, or between nations and
intergovernmental organizations.  This is not what was meant by "international
law" in the context of last week's discussion.  This may be confusing to
someone listening in after the fact, but it is the nature of oral give and take
that people will speak colloquially to get their point across, even if what
they say isn't exactly the accurate term for what they mean.  Furthermore the
meeting was intended primarily to discuss and explore the consensus proposal
that the DT had developed, rather than to serve as an exposition of the
justifications for the protections in the first place.  To use the statements
made in that meeting as a complete understanding of the reasoning for the IOC
and RCRC protections is to put a weight on the meeting that it was never
intended to bear.

I hope that the OECD and other intergovernmental organizations can understand
the accurate picture of the "criteria" we considered and reconsider the
statements below.  While we should welcome their input, a discussion that is
based on a mischaracterization is only going to be a dead end.

Thank you.

Greg

Gregory S. Shatan
Deputy Chair| Tech Transactions Group