ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-iocrc-dt]

[gnso-iocrc-dt] Comments From Red Cross about the status of the Red Cross/IOC Motion

  • To: "gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-iocrc-dt] Comments From Red Cross about the status of the Red Cross/IOC Motion
  • From: "Hughes, Debra Y." <Debra.Hughes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 01:27:15 +0000

Dear Members of the GNSO Drafting Team,

(1) On behalf of the International Movement of the Red Cross and Red Crescent,
as representatives of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), the
International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) and the
American Red Cross to the ICANN 43 meeting, we would like to take this
opportunity to express our appreciation to the GNSO for its continued attention
to the protection of the red cross and red crescent denominations and related
names at the first level and for the first round of applications.

(2) We take note with concern of the decision of the GNSO of today (14 March
2012) to defer its decision on the drafting team's motion and recommendations
for the protection of the denominations and vividly regret that no agreement
and conclusive decision was achieved within the GNSO Council meeting.

(3) As outlined in our public comment posted on 11 March 2012, and bearing in
mind the international protective regimes enjoyed by the red cross and red
crescent denominations and the enforcement of that protection at national
level, we would like to underline our regret that the motion developed within
the Drafting team could not be agreed upon.

This we feel delays a decision on an important issue, which, as outlined by the
GAC and the Red Cross and Red Crescent in its public comment, finds its legal
justifications in universally ratified treaties and in the international
mandate and roles recognized to the International Red Cross and Red Crescent
Movement and its respective components.

Furthermore, it should be underlined that, further to discussion in the
drafting committee, the terms of the proposal for protection had been limited,
for example with regard to the list of languages and protected translations. We
regret that even this was not achievable.

(4) As a consequence of the above outlined global public interest
considerations, it is our conviction that the protection of the red cross and
red crescent denominations at the first level and for all future rounds should
be duly formalised as soon as possible within ICANN rules and mechanisms - and
should therefore include a String Similarity Review.

(5) Further to the GNSO discussions held today, the Red Cross and Red Crescent
stand however prepared to continue to work within the drafting team in
reviewing, as required, the recommendations developed so far, taking into
account the public comments and the paramount global public interest underlying
the protection of the denominations.

While looking forward to our future dialogue and cooperation, we remain,

Sincerely yours,

    Stéphane J. Hankins
    International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)
    shankins@xxxxxxxx

    Christophe Lanord
    International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC)
christophe.lanord@xxxxxxxx

    Debbie Hughes
    American Red Cross
    debra.hughes@xxxxxxxxxxxx