ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-iocrc-dt]

[gnso-iocrc-dt] Fwd: U.S. Statement on options

  • To: "gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-iocrc-dt] Fwd: U.S. Statement on options
  • From: Brian Peck <brian.peck@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 13:31:23 -0700

All,

As per Jeff's request on the DT's call earlier today, please find below the
U.S. Representative's remarks at the GAC/GNSO meeting in Costa Rica with regard
to the DT's options related to the GAC's proposal.

Regards,

Brian Peck
Policy Director
ICANN

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA:

Thank you very much, Chair. And of course I couldn't agree with you
more.

I apparently didn't have my wits about me earlier but now I have the
paper in front of me. I just wanted to take the opportunity to say vis?avis
the options that you have committed to arriving in your drafting
team report for the second level, I think, if I may say for our GAC
colleagues, going back to our original proposal, it would be option 2 that
would best meet the terms of the proposal.

So I would like to go on the record as strongly encouraging that. But I would
like to close by saying that, frankly, we have given some
discussion to this sort of new approach that we have been asked to
adopt by the board, if you will, with the GAC and the GNSO collaborating with
one another to try to advance progress on a particular issue.

We hope that you do not mind and would, in fact, concur. We would
like to offer to the Board when we meet with them on Tuesday that we
have found this to be a very interesting experiment, that kind of goes to the
ATRT recommendations, the five of which in particular pertain to the role of
the GAC within ICANN, that this is something that we need to explore more
often. And obviously the more flexibility we can have to
jointly advance progress, we think it's a good thing.
Thank you