ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-iocrc-dt]

Re: [gnso-iocrc-dt] RE: Rationale for Board Committee Resolution Posted

  • To: gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-iocrc-dt] RE: Rationale for Board Committee Resolution Posted
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 16:22:40 -0400

On 28 Apr 2012, at 15:52, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

> Please clarify what you mean when you say that the group " tried to create
> further special 'protections', e.g. the right of implicit/explicit licensing".

Any arrangement that allows for the IOC or IFRC to allow an applicant register
a name that is similar to a name reserved on its behalf, set up the opportunity
for either an explicit licensing arrangement (i.e. applicant pays directly for
the permission from one of the two protected entities) or an implicit licensing
arrangement (i.e where a coincidental contribution results in the granting of
the permission) to register the similar name.

The recommendation from this committee contained such a provision.  I am not
stating that there was any intent for this to happen, but the recommendation
from this DT did create that opportunity.  Now while this licensing arrangement
is already the policy for governments, the IOC and IFRC would have been the
first non-governments to have been provided such a licensing (explict or
implicit) right.

avri