ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09]

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Some definitions & concepts to inform our work

  • Subject: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Some definitions & concepts to inform our work
  • From: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 11:22:04 -0700

Team:

As tasked on the previous call, I'd like to propose some definitions
that may aid in our discussions.

Please comment / correct and offer suggested edits.

Thanks--

J.

*******************

1.  SHOPPER or CUSTOMER:  The person or entity that has access to the
Registrar control system, and has accepted the Registration Agreement.
Note that this person or entity is often the same as that listed as the
"Registrant", but they are not required to be.

2.  CHANGE OF REGISTRANT:  The SHOPPER changes the registration WHOIS
data for "Registrant" record.  May also include changing other contacts,
(Admin, Tech, Billing) but the focus here is on the Registrant.  Changes
to WHOIS records that only modify other records do not constitute a
CHANGE OF REGISTRANT.

3.  CHANGE OF ACCOUNT:  The SHOPPER moves the registration to another
SHOPPER account at the same registrar.  No WHOIS records are change.

4.  TRANSFER: The "Registrant" or "Admin Contact" (but not necessarily
the SHOPPER) authorizes transfer of the registration to a different
registrar.  CHANGE OF ACCOUNT is implied as part of this operation, but
CHANGE OF REGISTRANT is not.  Note that this is the only operation on
this list that is defined and governed by the existing IRTP Consensus
Policy.

Notes:
------
A.   Bear in mind that operations #2 - #4 have been loosely (and
incorrectly) referred to as "TRANSFERS" by members of the community.  I
believe it is important to our work that we, as a working group,
identify and agree upon the differences.

B.  The exchange / sale / auction of a registration typically involves:
        (i)    A "CHANGE OF REGISTRANT", AND
        (ii)   A "CHANGE OF ACCOUNT", OR
        (iii)  A TRANSFER

Many in the community will perceive these processes as a single, atomic
transaction.  But it is important to our work that we understand that
this is often a combination of separate processes.

C.  The scenario for (B) which includes a "CHANGE OF REGISTRANT" and
"CHANGE OF ACCOUNT", but not a TRANSFER, is often defined by many ccTLDs
as a "TRADE."  It should be noted that this is not uniformly supported,
and is rarely a free service.  It often includes a fee to the SHOPPER /
Registrant.