ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09]

Re: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] 60 day lock following registrant change

  • To: "Gnso-irtp-b-jun09@xxxxxxxxx List" <Gnso-irtp-b-jun09@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] 60 day lock following registrant change
  • From: George Kirikos <icann@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 10:03:59 -0400

Hello,

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 9:46 AM, Michele Neylon :: Blacknight
<michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 7 Jul 2010, at 14:32, George Kirikos wrote:
>> I do care, though, because there's the "equal
>> treatment" clauses in the .com agreement, so if something happens in
>> .shop, it suddenly has an impact on me in .com.
>
> Where are you getting that from?

Read the various registry agreements, e.g. 3.2.b for .com:

http://www.icann.org/en/tlds/agreements/verisign/registry-agmt-com-01mar06.htm

"Equitable Treatment.  ICANN shall not apply standards, policies,
procedures or practices arbitrarily, unjustifiably, or inequitably and
shall not single out Registry Operator for disparate treatment unless
justified by substantial and reasonable cause."

This is why people opposed the elimination of price caps in
biz/info/org. They might own 100% .com domains, but if biz/info/org
got something, ICANN would not be able to refuse it for .com "unless
justified by substantial and reasonable cause" which is something that
the lawyers would have no problem debating and testing ad nauseum.

> If you think something warrants its own thread please start one

Will do.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
416-588-0269